Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best way to transfer files between computers using differe

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I wanted to copy some files from my old computer (Windows 98) to the one I'm using now (Windows 7 - 64 bit). I thought downloading them to a CD disc would be the way to go since that is the only drives they have in common, but when I put a blank CD in the drive of the Windows 98 system, it did not recognize or indicate there was a disc in the drive. Then I put a disc that already had a program on it (Encarta) and it worked fine. What's going on? Is there a better way too transfer files between these computers? The Windows 98 system only has 3" floppy and a CD drive - the Windows 7 only has a CD drive.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Not all CD-ROM drives can read all kinds of CD-ROM discs. See if you can find out the model number on the CD drive in the Windows 98 computer, then Google that model number to see what types of CD discs it can read/write. Because the CD drive in the Windows 7 computer is probably newer it should(?) be able to read whatever the Win98 CD drive writes.

Edited by SpywareDr, 30 July 2018 - 12:20 PM.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Its a Samsung SD-608, but couldn't find much about it's actual abilities. Most links were about purchasing one.

Edited by debodun, 30 July 2018 - 02:53 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Evertek.com > Samsung SD-608 8X DVD-ROM IDE Drive (Beige)

Features/Specifications:

8X Samsung IDE DVD-ROM Drive (40X CD-ROM )
  • General Features:
  • Beige beveled bezel
  • 8X Max DVD-ROM Read Speed
  • 40X Max CD-ROM Read Speed
  • Buffer Memory: 512KB
  • Interface: EIDE/ATAPI

Supported Discs:
  • DVD-ROM
  • DVD-Video
  • CD-ROM
  • CD-R
  • CD-RW
  • CD-DA
  • CD-ROM/XA
  • Video-CD
  • CD-I/FMW
  • Multisession Photo CD
  • Enhanced CD
  • CD-EXTRA

?

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

This is the disc I attempted to use, but still at a loss of why the system isn't seeing it, but can play one with a program already on it. an't even format it if it can't see it.

Attached Thumbnails

• cd.jpg

Edited by debodun, 30 July 2018 - 03:16 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Hmm... Good brand. Should work.

Have a CD-R you could try?

If still no go, the drive's write laser might need a cleaning? Remember using CD/DVD drive cleaner disc kits years ago.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

I hope Doc will forgive me for butting in, but that CD unit in your Win 98 computer looks as though it can only read CD's but is not capable of writing to them, so it will be no good for your purposes.

1 If you can connect your Win 98 computer to the Internet then you could just email the files to yourself.....

2 If you remove the hard drive from your Win 98 computer you could connect it to your win 7 computer, but as the old computer probably has an IDE hard drive, whilst it is likely that your Win 7 computer will use SATA you will probably need to buy a converter. There are various sorts but a versatile unit that we use in the workshop will accept both IDE and SATA drives and output to your Win 7 computer by USB they are more expensive than more basic units but still only around £15 or so (GBP)

3 are you sure your Win 98 computer does not have USB ports?  if it does and they work then an ordinary flash drive may do the trick.

4 If the floppy drive on your Win 98 computer works Ok then you could use floppies to copy your files, spanning large files across several floppy discs using winzip or something similar, and then using a floppy to USB drive unit to enable your Win7 computer to read them. Those units are available for about £8 or so.

5 There are a number of other methods using different techniques, crossover cables, serial cables,parallel via interlnk, but all of these require a degree of experience that you may not wish to acquire if its only a "one off" transfer you require.

Post back if you need more information on this.

Regards

paws

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

No no, feel free to butt in paws. Generally speaking, the more minds working on a problem the better a chance finding a solution. :)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Does the Win98 have the ability to access USB devices?

It is possible to network the computers. It is also possible to install a hard drive and then move it over to the new machine.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Yes, Windows can do USB, with drivers. See this thread: https://www.bleeping...ork-on-win98se/

Advertisements

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Does the Win98 have the ability to access USB devices?

It has a few USB ports, but when I tried to plug an optical mouse into one, the system would not boot up. Had to replace the mouse with an old PS2 trackball one.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. That emailing might have worked, but the Windows 98 system is not connected to the Internet and would do no good if I did connect it. My ISP stopped supporting Windows 98 10 years ago. I had to get a whole new system to continue to get online.

Edited by debodun, 31 July 2018 - 12:22 PM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
That emailing might have worked, but the Windows 98 system is not connected to the Internet and would do no good if I did connect it. My ISP stopped supporting Windows 98 10 years ago. I had to get a whole new system to continue to get online.

It's not necessary for your ISP to provide "support" for your Win 98

It should be perfectly possible to connect your machine to the Internet and email files across (however its not recommended that you use such an old operating system for "regular" Internet use unless you take extraordinary precautions and are conversant with them and how to apply them.

However as always its your choice...maybe you would be more comfortable with attaching the hard drive from your old machine to the win 7 via a converter??

Here's the sort of thing we use in the workshop:

https://www.ebay.co....ar=441818887315

Regards

paws

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

If I recall the Win98 had USB ports but they really didn't work till Win98se and then you needed drivers specific to them.

Sometimes a cheap CD will do the trick vs the more expensive ones. And as Paws stated I also believe that a computer that old could not write to CD.

There might be a few programs written that could be installed to give write access to the win98 though. I had to go that route for a Windows NT unit.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

A CD burner (writer/creator) has a moving laser assembly, just like an ordinary CD player. But in addition to the standard "read laser", it also has a "write laser". The write laser is more powerful than the read laser, so it interacts with the disc differently. It is powerful enough to actually alter the surface of a CD instead of just bouncing light off of it to read it. Since read lasers are not intense enough to darken the dye material like a write laser can, simply playing a CD in a CD drive will not destroy any encoded information.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Would using an external hard drive between different OSs adversely effect it? In other words if I use the EHD on the Windows 98 system first, will the Windows7 OS be able to read it?