Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No device found AHCI BIOS not installed, windows 7 ultimate (Resolved)

Best Answer Amolese , 08 August 2018 - 12:29 AM

Hello there! Thanks to all who took time off to post suggestions to help the situation. The problem is now solved and I am posting what I did to achieve that. I tried everything and all the suggest... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Amolese

Amolese

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello there

The service of my dell computer precision 7500 just ran out and cannot be further extended. I was having issues with computer not running optimally so I saved all my data to an external drive, reformatted the c drive and used my windows ultimate installation cd to reinstall windows. Unfortunately after the initial installation and restart after the initial updates I get this message No device found AHCI BIOS not installed, and after, windows 7 ultimate install hangs on starting windows. I have waited for more than two days now, it is not moving anywhere. I do this reinstallation every year to get my computer run better but this time I dont know why it is not working. Please can someone help?

Edited by Amolese, 03 August 2018 - 03:57 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

https://www.sevenfor...nce Maintenance

?

Amolese

Amolese

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello there! Many thanks for the posting. I have followed the instructions and did this three times already but I still have the same message upon startup. Is anything we are missing here?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Unfortunately after the initial installation and restart after the initial updates I get this message No device found AHCI BIOS not installed, 

Couple of questions if I may;

Did you reinstall the Dell drivers and in the correct order ( see info here ) and before allowing Windows to update. 

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key once you see the Dell splash screen.

Amolese

Amolese

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I didnt reinstall the dell drivers. Will reinstall and do that now before the windows update.
Also by the way I have tried the safe mode with f8 key several times and it works! Many thanks for the replies! Its nice to know there are people who help selflessly. Will let you know the outcome. Be blessed!

Edited by Amolese, 04 August 2018 - 03:16 PM.

Amolese

Amolese

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just to let you know, your dell link for the driversleads to nowhere

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not sure why but the link does that sometimes, check here and you will get the same thing for a while and then all of a sudden the correct info will appear, been this way for years, alternatively you can use the Dell driver analyzer tool here

Amolese

Amolese

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer
Hello there! Thanks to all who took time off to post suggestions to help the situation. The problem is now solved and I am posting what I did to achieve that. I tried everything and all the suggestions you gave me, to no avail. I must have done over 40 reboots, either to safe mode, or to BIOS, or to CD-ROM boot for a completely new reinstall after reformatting of the drive. There were two problems I encountered: the BIOS update from Dell was the culprit of the message "No Device found, No AHCI BIOS installed" and the windows update of Microsoft was corrupt. After realising that the Dell BIOS Update was not helping matters when applied first after new reinstall, i decided to omit it in my next reinstall, and the message naturally disappeared. Take note I also tried your suggestions to go the registry to make changes to install the AHCI after reboot, with no success. It was upon noticing that my system was using SAS drives connected through scsi cables and an ATA controller that i figured out that it was not compatible to this AHCI mode. What i dont understand is why my Dell Account was configuring my system to AHCI mode. Now every new reinstallation was always successful, it was only when I applied the windows updates and upon restart that the computer was hanging at the "Starting Windows" logo. I also tried the option of installing the update in a batch of 10 updates at a time with no success; it was still hanging at that same point, sometimes instead of the "Starting Windows" it was showing "Applying Updates" with the same results. Then I found this Microsoft link: https://support.micr...s-update-errors. Apparently the Microsoft windows Update itself was corrupt and I followed the suggestions in the link to apply an update to the Microsoft Windows update itself, after renaming the Microsoft redistribution folder as explained in the link, and upon applying the first batch of updates it worked. I was so overjoyed and I adopted the method of creating a restore point for every update that I can go back to should there be any other problem, and indeed there was! So this method allowed me to go back to a point and not to start all over again and figure out what was the problem at each step. In all the new problems I encountered i noticed that i must first get all the windows updates to work first before starting to install my video drivers, my network drivers, or any other software for that matter, even installing my Sophos antivirus first was taking me back to same hang after reinstall etc..., actually the windows update identified those drivers itself, and installing whatever it identified was the way to go to make it work. But the most Important install was the Microsoft netframework, without which other installs failed and took me back to that same hang. So it wasnt just enough to have applied that update of the windows update, you had to do the windows updates in steps and batches afterwards and make sure that for every successful update after restart you create a restore point you can go back to, should there be any problem. I must have created more than 10 restore points, and I had to go back many times to figure out the problem, for the Microsoft net Framework update took me many times back to the same problem if I applied it together with some other updates. I then figured out I had to do it alone and upon successful install I created a restore point after restart. Now my system is up and running and thanks to all who posted their thoughts on the problem. Be blessed!

Edited by Amolese, 08 August 2018 - 01:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update and steps for how the issue was resolved  :thumbsup:

I must have created more than 10 restore points,

Two golden rules when it comes to computers.

1: Back up your important data on a regular basis (+ create back ups of your back ups for the most important data).

2: Always create a new system restore point before installing any update and/or before making any changes to your hardware or software.