Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to downgrade pre-installed Windows 8 to Windows 7?

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

Hello JoMalig, No problem as no harm done. No need to elaborate on the contents of your actual screenshot as your plans will erase the partitions that are presently on the HDD. Becau... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JoMalig

JoMalig

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Hi,

My First post  :yes:

I bought a laptop about 4 years ago. Acer Aspire V5 with pre installed windows 8.

It doesn't have a problem till now. The only thing is, at the office we are using a software

which is running on windows 7 and is not compatible with windows 8 and up.

I want to install the software in my laptop so that I can work at home.

So I decided to reformat my laptop and install windows 7 since I have the CD.

I encountered a problem like change from uefi boot to legacy. 

Then again this error, please see image below;

error.png

I'm not techie person, I don't understand these.

I thought it will be simple as before (with older computers)

Can any body here give me a walk through on how I can do this in a way a not techie person will

understand.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome:    JoMalig,

Your screenshot suggests that the HDD has not yet been formatted, if wanting to do a clean install of Windows 7 on the HDD you need to wipe the entire HDD and then when installing Windows 7 create a new partition of between 150 and 200GB just for Windows 7.

In answer to your question;

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example.

Restart the computer, Windows 8 and 8.1 from the Start or desktop screen move your mouse pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen, when the Windows Charms appear click the Settings Charm, click on Power and then the Restart option.

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

Edit to add:  Some info on formatting a HDD here before proceeding with any format, be sure that it is what you definitely want to do and that the Windows media that you have for the clean install is all good, a genuine Windows install disk is for example likely to install without issue whereas a burned copy/ISO may not.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

https://uk.answers.a...5839.1452539930

may help.

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Thank you for the replies.

I will try these when I get home and hopefully

will work.

I will update you about the status soon.

Again thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

For changing the boot sequence, please follow the steps at the Acer link as they are specific to your brand of computer;

Completely shut down your computer.
Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS.
Use the right arrow key to select Boot.
With Boot Mode highlighted, press Enter, and then use the down arrow to select Legacy BIOS.
Press Enter.
Press F10, and select Yes to save the change and exit the BIOS.

You are welcome btw  :)

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Hello,

@phillpower2, thanks, I was able to find that boot sequence but I did not touch it just yet.

Sorry I will correct myself. When I post this, I was at the office and I don't have the screen shot, I just search a screen shot from google thinking they are all the same. My mistake, sorry.

Below is the real screen shot with the problem which I eventually will face "if I want, if not too much complicated or will not mess my laptop".

IMG_2074.JPG

Thanks and again sorry for the first screen shot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello JoMalig,

No problem as no harm done.

No need to elaborate on the contents of your actual screenshot as your plans will erase the partitions that are presently on the HDD.

Because you are wanting to install Windows 7 you must format the HDD and do a clean install, see Doing a clean install of Windows info at the link here

Please note that before proceeding you must have a valid Windows 7 licence key that is not or if an OEM licence has not already been in use on another computer and you should check that your Windows 7 installation media is good.

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Hello Phillpower2,

It works. Thanks so much and also to Rkinner.

I was able to install windows 7.

IMG_2077.JPG

Thank you for the fast and reliable replies.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Great news and thank you for the follow up JoMalig  :)

Final nag from me, please ensure that you create a new system restore point, install a good quality AV, fully update Windows and make sure that all of your hardware is working as it should be  :thumbsup:

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Got it. 

Thank you so much  :yes:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome  :)

EdwardRees

EdwardRees

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

That's funny how many of us trying to downgrade it.