Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install a newer version of Windows

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

Hello Denisejm, Windows 7 is ridiculously expensive and due to be phased out in the near future so I would rule that option out, Windows 10 or Linux would be what I would install if me.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi.

My operating system is Windows XP Pro X64.  Even though I love it and really don't want to give it up, it's come to the point where I might have to because it's no longer compatible with most internet activities.  I'm thinking about installing a newer version of Windows but I'm not sure if it would be compatible with my hardware.  Can someone tell me if it would be possible?  These are my components:

- GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield cpu
- Crucial 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800 UDIMM
- CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
- WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD1003FZEX
- ASUS EAH4650-DI-512MD2 Graphics Card
- HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 PCI Express SATA II 8-Port Controller Card

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Denisejm,

Windows 7 is ridiculously expensive and due to be phased out in the near future so I would rule that option out, Windows 10 or Linux would be what I would install if me.

The latest drivers available for your MB are for Windows 7 but other than that there is no reason why you should not be able to run Windows 10 on the present hardware, you can confirm this for yourself at the link here

Just a fyi, I run Windows 10 Pro on a notebook with a lesser spec than what you have and everything works as it should.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks for responding.  I tried to run "Detection" but received the message that it's not a valid Win32 application, which is typical of the problems that I now run into because XP x64 is so outdated.  I'm going to look into Windows 10.  Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Sorry, crossed wires as I wasnt suggest that you run anything only check your specs against what is recommended at the link, see copy/paste info below;

CPU: Info
CPU SPEED: 1 GHz or faster processor
RAM: 2 GB RAM
VIDEO CARD: DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
FREE DISK SPACE: 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

You are welcome btw  :)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I have:
RAM: 2 GB RAM
FREE DISK SPACE: 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

My CPU is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield.  I don't know it's speed.  Does it say in these specs?  https://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB. Does it meet the requirements?

My video card is a ASUS EAH4650-DI-512MD2 Graphics Card.  Does it meet the requirements? https://www.cnet.com...b-series/specs/

I wouldn't mind upgrading a part or two as long and they're compatible with my motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Motherboard. https://www.cnet.com...cket-p45/specs/

Specs are Chinese to me.  I can't tell by reading them what is compatible.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The only item that I would be concerned with is the HighPoint RocketRAID 2300 PCI Express SATA II 8-Port Controller Card as it may not be compatible with Windows 10, your other hardware is fine as is for Windows 10 32-bit but you could if you wanted to upgrade the RAM to 8GB and go for the better performing Windows 10 64-bit.

Do you need to back up any data off your HDD or are you able to do a clean install straight away.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

My computer has 12 internal SATA hard drives in IDE format in a JBOD configuration, 1Tb and 2Tb in size, so I need a controller card that's compatible with my motherboard/other hardware and Windows 10.  Can you recommend a controller card that would work with my motherboard and Windows 10?

My C drive is a partition that's 34Gb in size, but it can be enlarged if necessary.

I just had to replace my RAM with the Crucial 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800 UDIMM.  I have two more ports on my motherboard for 2 more sticks of RAM.  The two I now have are twin sticks.  Can I just buy two more sticks of Crucial 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800 UDIMM RAM or would I have to buy 4 new sticks of quadruple(?) RAM?

I don't have the Windows 10 disk yet but if everything else is okay/compatible, I'll be buying it. It's on sale for $79.00 at https://express.google.com/product/4209130605061694783_3105931326148126854_6136318?mall=Southeast&directCheckout=1   I can format my C drive and do an install of Windows 10 as soon as I get the disk and other required hardware.  I have My Documents and a number of .exe files backed up on other hard drives.  There's nothing else I need from my C drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Can you recommend a controller card that would work with my motherboard and Windows 10?

I would try the present controller card before making any purchase as the specs say it is compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows, the card being around from the days of XP is why I mentioned my concern.

My C drive is a partition that's 34Gb in size, but it can be enlarged if necessary.

Nowhere near large enough, any new build that I do will now have a minimum of a 240/256GB SSD (dependant on what is the best price at the time) or a similar size partition on an appropriate capacity HDD.

4GB of RAM is fine for Windows 10 64-bit but to get the best out of a 64-bit OS 8GB of RAM is recommended, adding a further matching pair of 2GB sticks would be fine as and when your budget will allow or depending on how long ago your purchased the present 2GB sticks you may be allowed to return them and swap them for two 4GB sticks.

I don't have the Windows 10 disk yet but if everything else is okay/compatible, I'll be buying it. It's on sale for $79.00 at https://express.google.com/product/4209130605061694783_3105931326148126854_6136318?mall=Southeast&directCheckout=1   

Being in the UK your link does not work for me but fwiw best that I could do was here I suspect for $79.00 that you will be getting a digital download, is that correct.

I can format my C drive and do an install of Windows 10 as soon as I get the disk and other required hardware. 

What is the capacity of the HDD that you will be installing to.

You can actually download and trial Windows 10 (Enterprise) for 90 days before making any purchase, see info courtesy of Andre Da Costa at the link here

Tip, when the time comes to clean install Windows, disconnect all other storage devices other than the HDD that you will be installing to, this to remove the possibility of accidentally installing Windows to the wrong drive. 

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

"any new build that I do will now have a minimum of a 240/256GB SSD (dependant on what is the best price at the time) or a similar size partition on an appropriate capacity HDD."

That's no problem.  The drive that I'll be storing Windows on is 1Tb.  I'll move files from the D Drive of the partition onto another HDD and enlarge the C Drive partition to 300Gb to give it plenty of room. 

"to get the best out of a 64-bit OS 8GB of RAM is recommended"

I bought the new RAM in April 2018.  Since I have 2 more ports for RAM and since it's okay to just buy 2 more sticks of the same twin RAM, I'll go that route if necessary.  I only store .avi files on my pc and I have a mostly .doc files stored in My Documents.  I go on line for email, Twitter, and sometimes watch YouTube videos, nothing intensive like gaming.  I can't do much of what I want to do online anymore because XP is no longer compatible with a lot of it.

"Being in the UK your link does not work for me but fwiw best that I could do was here I suspect for $79.00 that you will be getting a digital download, is that correct."

The page doesn't say that it's a digital download but neither does it say that it's not, nor does it say that it's a DVD.  It says that it's OEM, that it has a license and it shows a picture of a disk case.  It also says Additional Requirements: DVD-ROM.  I never thought it would be anything but a DVD so it just goes to show how much I'm outdated as well.  The Windows DVD that you gave me the link for says "Windows 10 OEM is a full version of the operating system not an upgrade. The OEM operating system is not supported by Microsoft."  Does this mean that I can't get updates from Microsoft?

Tip well taken.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Can you open this link?  It's for sale on eBay for $35.99

Windows 10 Professional PRO 64 Bit FULL Version DVD Sealed Brand New 

https://www.ebay.com...-AAAOSwuAVWw2Sg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

250GB is more than enough and that also allows for you to have your most often used program also on the C: drive/partition.

Reckon that you will be fine with just the 4GB of RAM for your intended use but by installing the 64-bit version of Windows from the outset you will be able to upgrade to 8GB of RAM in the future should you need to, this as opposed to being restricted to 4GB of RAM if you installed a 32-bit version of Windows.

With an OEM OS you receive all appropriate updates from Microsoft but should you have a technical issue with an OEM OS Microsoft will not provide the assistance that you would if the OS was the full retail version, the person that installs an OEM OS is responsible for any technical support, this is why you will often see OEM versions of Windows referred to as being for system builders.

Weird, your link shows a full retail version of Windows 10 Home 64-bit for $75.00  :headscratch:

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

"Weird, your link shows a full retail version of Windows 10 Home 64-bit for $75.00  "

Odd, it was $35.99 when I was on the page earlier.  I thought it was too good to be true.  They must've changed the price.

Here's another one on eBay for $32.99.  I swear that's the price at the time of this post.

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100009.m1982

I noticed when looking for full versions of Windows 10 that some come on a thumb drive.  My pc has a thumb drive/USB port.  Are the thumb drive versions as good as the DVD versions? 

I've really become outdated in the past 7 years since I built this pc.  People at GeeksToGo helped me build it, giving me recommendations for all the parts from the case down to the daisy chains.  I'm good at plug and play to build the pc and Windows/programs installation but my knowledge of parts compatibility is zero.  I just brought what they recommended, put them in the case they recommended (LIAN-LI PC-201A) and I love my pc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Did you notice the following and in particular what I have highlighted in red.

Windows 10 Pro FULL version with COA and KEY included

Fast shipping

Brand New

HARD DISK optional to be send but it does not work. 

What the above normally means, the disk that you will get will most likely be an OEM branded disk such as Dell or HP and for use for reinstalling on a computer when the HDD has failed and needs to be replaced, bought in bulk by merchants for a few $, perfectly legal due to a loophole and fine if you dont happen to be one of the unlucky ones that gets a key that has already been used by someone else.

No difference between USB or on disk but I prefer on disk as you cant install from USB if for some reason your USB ports are not working.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Ah . . .  I didn't see that line.  No way do I want to buy that.

I'll get the disk at the link you provided here.

If I run into any problems with the expansion card, I'll come back and see if you or someone else can recommend another one.

Thanks for all your help, time and patience.  It's greatly appreciated.  :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You can actually download and trial Windows 10 (Enterprise) for 90 days before making any purchase, see info courtesy of Andre Da Costa at the link here

Did you miss the above in my reply #8? Why not try Windows 10 for free first, even running it for a day or so will allow you to test your hardware and decide if you like it.

Please do keep us posted and any questions along the way give us a shout.

You are welcome  :yes: