Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install a newer version of Windows

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

Hello Denisejm, Windows 7 is ridiculously expensive and due to be phased out in the near future so I would rule that option out, Windows 10 or Linux would be what I would install if me.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I didn't miss your reply in post #8.  I went to the address you provided and read it.  I wasn't sure how to keep XP x64 and install Windows 10 at the same time.  I'll also have to enlarge my C drive partition size and I've downloaded AOMEI Partition Assistant SE and Paragon Partition Manager Free Edition 64-bit but haven't installed them yet.  Since this isn't the software forum, I didn't think to ask my questions about software here, but if it's okay, can you tell me if these partition programs are good or do you have a better one, and if I can installed Windows 10 from the link you gave me while keeping my existing XP?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I wasn't sure how to keep XP x64 and install Windows 10 at the same time. 

First time that you have mentioned that you wanted to keep XP as well as installing Windows 10, totally different ball game than clean installing Windows 10, have a read of the info here

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I don't want to keep XP if Windows 10 will work with my hardware.  I thought I had to keep XP if Windows 10 doesn't work, though, so I assumed I'd have to install Windows 10 alongside XP and uninstall XP if Windows 10 works in my pc, or uninstall Windows 10 if it doesn't work.

Thanks for the dual boot link.  I still have to do something with partitions.  The HDD that I have XP on is 1Tb and I have about 330Gb free on it.  I partitioned the HDD into C and D drives.  C is 35Gb and contains XP and D is 897Gb that contains mostly .avi files.  I can move as many of them as I need to onto another HDD in order to expand my C drive to give it more space to install Windows 10, or create another partition because Windows/programs/My Documents shouldn't need more than 50-100Gb since I don't put anything else on my boot drive.

I'm just trying to figure it out.  I really don't know what the best thing is to do yet.

Do you have any suggestions for a good free partition program?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

What do you think about my options?  I don't know what the best thing to do is.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, busy day elsewhere yesterday  :(

I don't use third party partition software as I always use what Windows has available, Aomei is one that I have seen recommended on many an occasion though.

What I would do if in your position, back up what you need to from the D: partition, create a new partition of between 100 and 150GB, download and install the trial version of Windows and test, if all ok and you are happy you can either leave as is or delete the partition that has XP on it, the 35GB of drive space that it is occupying is minimal + you may have a need to use XP for one reason or another further down the line, downside to this would be that it would be a dual boot arrangement meaning that the computer will not boot directly into Windows 10, you would need to manually select the OS, this because XP being the older OS and installed on the HDD first as it needs to be will always be the first OS that is detected.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

No worries about delays.

I'm moving my files off my D drive now and I downloaded the ISO file for Windows 10 x64 but Media Creation Tool doesn't work with XP.  Do you know of any other programs to put the ISO file on a USB thumb drive or DVD?  I have one 16x 4.7Gb 120 min DVD-R and a new 32Gb thumb drive.  I would prefer using the thumb drive as I haven't burned a DVD in many years and have no idea if the burner still works and I no longer have a burner program installed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

See Andre blog here

For disks I use imgburn when needed (please uncheck any additional download boxes if you decide to burn the ISO to a DVD) for USB thumb drives use Rufus

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks for the links.  I downloaded

Rufus 2.18 (Last version compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista)

But my bad luck has continued.  I opened the thumb drive and it wouldn't fit into the USB port.  Something was wrong with it.  BUT, I had another one!  I formatted it and gave it a drive letter and, under Properties, it shows that there is 28.8Gb of free space and in Disk Management, it says it's "Portable" and "Healthy".  I tried running Rufus but I kept getting an "Exception Processing Message" before I did anything.  Copy/paste and drag/drop onto the drive works fine so it's working okay.  I tried using the default setting "Create a bootable disk using Free-DOS" and "Create a bootable disk using ISO image" but I just kept getting the Exception Processing Message. 

So I thought I'd use my last blank DVD disk that I've been holding onto for years for "just in case."  I unwrapped the zip file, downloaded Imgburn, but when Imgburn opened, there was no .iso file in the folder.  There's a file name "setup" in the folder but choosing it isn't an option in Imgburn. 

Any ideas?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Ok, I just thought . . .   is the "setup" file a program file to install Windows 10?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ok, I just thought . . .   is the "setup" file a program file to install Windows 10?

We cant see what you can but what you describe does suggest that it may be the Windows 10 media but I would suggest that you use the help at the ImgBurn link, the screenshots there are pretty self explanatory, link

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I opened ImgBurn, tried both "Create Image File from Files/Folders" and "Write Files/Folder to Disk" but there's no iso file in the folder that I unzipped Win10_1803_English_x64 to.  I keep getting "You have not selected a file to act as your boot image."  When I try to create the boot image, ImgBurn just zips it again but it won't let me use the zip folder it created to burn the disk. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
there's no iso file in the folder that I unzipped Win10_1803_English_x64 

Strange as by the very description it suggests that you have downloaded such an ISO, for how to test an ISO see Download QEMU Simple Boot

Some Rufus info here as well.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I downloaded Windows 10 from this link.  Maybe it's not the right one?  I downloaded it a second time this morning just in case there was something wrong with the first one I downloaded but I ran into the same problems.

https://www.microsof...UkjS8fTRRSfSTA0

The instructions for Qemu Simple Boot say "just drag and drop your .iso, .ima or .img file(s) into the window, and click “Start QEMU Test”.  I can't do that since there is no .iso image in the unzipped folder.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I'm downloading Windows 10 Enterprise x64 right now, thought I'd see if I it has an .iso file.  I'm not an IT professional but I thought that if it works in my pc, then I'll know that Windows 10 works.

https://www.microsof...s-10-enterprise

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

There's no .iso file in Windows 10 Enterprise x64 either, just another file named "setup" but it can't be selected with ImgBurn.