Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I install a newer version of Windows

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

I didn't miss your reply in post #8.  I went to the address you provided and read it.  I wasn't sure how to keep XP x64 and install Windows 10 at the same time.  I'll also have to enlarge my C drive partition size and I've downloaded AOMEI Partition Assistant SE and Paragon Partition Manager Free Edition 64-bit but haven't installed them yet.  Since this isn't the software forum, I didn't think to ask my questions about software here, but if it's okay, can you tell me if these partition programs are good or do you have a better one, and if I can installed Windows 10 from the link you gave me while keeping my existing XP?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 22,256 posts
I wasn't sure how to keep XP x64 and install Windows 10 at the same time. 

First time that you have mentioned that you wanted to keep XP as well as installing Windows 10, totally different ball game than clean installing Windows 10, have a read of the info here

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

I don't want to keep XP if Windows 10 will work with my hardware.  I thought I had to keep XP if Windows 10 doesn't work, though, so I assumed I'd have to install Windows 10 alongside XP and uninstall XP if Windows 10 works in my pc, or uninstall Windows 10 if it doesn't work.

Thanks for the dual boot link.  I still have to do something with partitions.  The HDD that I have XP on is 1Tb and I have about 330Gb free on it.  I partitioned the HDD into C and D drives.  C is 35Gb and contains XP and D is 897Gb that contains mostly .avi files.  I can move as many of them as I need to onto another HDD in order to expand my C drive to give it more space to install Windows 10, or create another partition because Windows/programs/My Documents shouldn't need more than 50-100Gb since I don't put anything else on my boot drive.

I'm just trying to figure it out.  I really don't know what the best thing is to do yet.

Do you have any suggestions for a good free partition program?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

What do you think about my options?  I don't know what the best thing to do is.