Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SBCGlobal in Outlook connected OK IMAP, but reloads inbox

SBCGlobal emai inbox reloads imap

• Please log in to reply

Nazbuster

Nazbuster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm helping a neighbor by installing her email in Outlook 2016 on Windows 10.  She currently uses webmail at Yahoo to read her Sbcglobal.net email.

Outlook successfully connected to the SBCGlobal account as IMAP and used the appropriate server settings.

Subsequently, all 10,400 emails downloaded into her inbox.   I deleted about 6000 of the oldest which moved to Trash in Outlook.

The problem is that soon after deleting all those emails, they all started flowing AGAIN into the inbox.

IMAP should have caused the deletion from the server but didn't so Outlook reloaded them.  

I cannot locate any control online that would indicate "Keep on Server" nor any similar one in Outlook.

HOW DO I GET IMAP TO WORK PROPERLY?

P.S.  I tested my own yahoo.com email account on my own PC and IMAP worked properly.  It uses the same server configuration as SBCGlobal.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Have you tried purging them from Trash?

Nazbuster

Nazbuster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
While trash was syncing inbox was reloading. In any case, got some tips on ATT forum that enabled bulk deletion on webmail. New attempt to sync with Outlook worked fine.

Will never know what caused the problem originally.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Glad you got it fixed, sounds like a "Gremlin" to me!

Regards

paws