Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 update error code 0xc1900208

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

fiscyn

fiscyn

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hello,

My Windows 10 version is out of date,  but when I try to update I get the error code 0xc1900208.  

It is running the Windows 10 Home edition,  version 1607.  It's trying to update to version 1803.

Please advise.

Thanks, Cindy

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi Cindy,

Do you have other Antivirus or Security Software installed besides the included Windows Defender? If you have uninstall the security programs and then try to upgrade again.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Agree with the above. See the following troubleshooting steps if that does not work for you.

Step 1:
Run Windows Disk Cleanup - From elevated command prompt copy and paste the following command or through Windows.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

Make sure you check "Windows Update cleanup" option and any other items that you want to cleanup.

Step 2:
Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
Copy and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

2. (Windows 8 or higher)
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
Copy and Paste the following command, and press ENTER:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
This will copy sfcdetails.txt to your desktop
Upload sfcdetails.txt file

Step 3:
1. Download the Windows Update Troubleshooter and save to your desktop
2. Double-click the wu.diagcab file to run the troubleshooter
3. Follow the steps in the wizard to find and fix problems with Windows Update
4. Provide a Screenshot or Picture of the report.

Step 4:
1. Disconnect any none essential peripherals such as flash drives, external hard drives, extra monitors, card readers, etc
2. If using any Antivirus other then Windows Defender then disable or better yet uninstall and use only Windows Defender
3. Perform a clean boot

For more tips see the following:
https://www.groovypo...e-version-1703/

Step 5:
Try Updating Windows again.

fiscyn

fiscyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Completed steps up through windows update troubleshooter.   Still need to do clean boot.

no other antivirus apps installed besides Windows defender except Mccaffee true key which I uninstalled.   Update error still came up.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture1.PNG
  • Capture2.PNG
  • Capture3.PNG

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Export the CBS folder

• Open the folder C:\Windows\Logs
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created
    If zip file is too large to upload to the forum please share the file using a service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or upload to SendSpace and just provide the link for the file here.

fiscyn

fiscyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hello,

It has been a few months since last post.   Still having issues.    After clean boot,   update would still not install.   Just did that piece and added the CBS.zip file.    I did do the scan again, twice, and provided the text file of that as well.   

Please let me know if need to start process again or if can continue on from here.

thanks, Cindy

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Before doing repairs please execute the following:

1 - Locate the folder C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download delete everything inside the Download folder only and not the folder itself.

2 - Check the Disk for Errors

• open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
  • type the command:
    chkdsk /r /x C:
    Note: When it ask if you want to checked the volume next time the system restarts answer Yes
  • Restart the Computer and let the check run during boot. It may take some time depending on the size of the HDD.

Next,

• download ListChkdskResult
  • execute the file and accept all the windows prompts to authorize the program to run
  • Notepad will open with a report showing the chkdsk result
  • copy & paste the log to your reply

fiscyn

fiscyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

above steps completed.   chkdsk results attached.

Happy New Year!

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Thank You, Happy New Year also for you.

Please run SFC /scannow one more time and let me know if it continues to report corrupted files not fixed.

fiscyn

fiscyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The latest SFC /scannnow results were:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Can you try to update now. In case of error please take note of the exact error code, also collect the CBS folder by following the instruction on post #5

fiscyn

fiscyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
CBS.zip file:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

still not updating. will send error codes

fiscyn

fiscyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
2018-05 Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4132216).

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803.

I don't see where it shows exact error codes for these. It just says these updates are available. Tries to update. when I click fix issues, it will come up with this error. (see attached)capture010319_1.PNG

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

That is a different problem Windows is trying to upgrade to a newer version but it can't without doing a BIOS upgrade first.

Please provide the exact model of the HP machine you have so I can help you to locate the correct BIOS update.

Sometimes to find the exact model reference you have to check in the back of the machine or under the battery if removable.

fiscyn

fiscyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
model 15-AB053NR

So is this why it won't do the security updates either? it keep circling back around to upgrading the whole operating system?