Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

5.1 sound problems only with Netflix - Pioneer receiver

5.1 netflix sound avr pioneer

• Please log in to reply

Rickie

Rickie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi all.

This has been an issue that's puzzled me for quite some time now and I figured I'd ask for possible help. Whether plugged in via an HDMI switcher or directly into my AVR, the problem persists. With multiple different HDMI cables too. So I'm a bit flummoxed.

I've never found anything resembling my issue on Google. Whilst using Netflix (via PS4 or Android, doesn't matter) sound will cut out intermittently as though it's changing source. It's most noticeable on Netflix originals like the Marvel series' but just in general.

5.1 isn't an issue with any other source, far as I can tell. Even other apps on the PS4/Android. In any case, it's enough of an annoyance that I have to watch Netflix in stereo and frankly, that makes me feel sad.

So, aside from switching inputs/cables/devices, are there any other things I could try?

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
I would recommend trying an optical cable for sound if possible?

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

I would recommend trying an optical cable for sound if possible?

I feel like I may have tried that in the past with my PS4, but not Android. Have ordered a 3.5mm to optical cable online so I'll give that a try when it arrives.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Alrighty. Far as I can tell, the Xiaomi mi box doesn't support that because the cable did bugger all.

Reset my Pioneer VSX 324 and everything but the sound issues still persist with Netflix 5.1

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Sorry to hear. Usually these issues are related to handshake issues with the HDMI. Since it happens with every device it may be an issue with your AVR. I have always used mid-range Denon AVR's and never had any issues. One thing you may try is to disable HDMI-CEC mode if an option.

Edited by dmccoy, 26 August 2018 - 10:00 AM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I have also heard of the following device helping with these issues.

https://www.amazon.c...=dp_ob_title_ce

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Sorry to hear. Usually these issues are related to handshake issues with the HDMI. Since it happens with every device it may be an issue with your AVR. I have always used mid-range Denon AVR's and never had any issues. One thing you may try is to disable HDMI-CEC mode if an option.

Yeah, I've never had that enabled so that didn't do anything.

I have also heard of the following device helping with these issues.

https://www.amazon.c...=dp_ob_title_ce

Wow! At that price I may as well just save up for a better AVR! Haha. Thanks anyway, man. Appreciate the input.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I agree. Good luck.