Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reconnecting a wireless printer to a WiFi network with a new router

Best Answer batpark , 21 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

Iammykyl: Modified rapture! I bulled my way through all those HP instructions and hit gold. My printer is back in business. Thanks a million for your help. ... batpark Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

I have an HP 2540 All-in-One jet printer that worked wirelessly within a home network on a W10 desktop pc. Having just changed ISP and router, I need help in reconnecting the printer.

FWIW, I have the name of the new router and its password. And I have (if needed) a cable with a USB connector on one end and an Ethernet connector at the other end that fits into the printer. (I recall that the cable was used, briefly, in the connection process.) What I don't have is a list of the detailed steps in that process. Can some GtGer please describe those steps for me?

Thanks.   .... batpark

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Batpart.

I would delete the existing HP software and proceed as if a new installation of the all in one. Go to https://support.hp.c...ument/c03820126and follow all the steps.   Note, when you enter the site see popup Important Print Security Update,

Let us know how it goes.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Iammykyl: Thanks for your advice. All those steps sounds rather daunting (to a 93 year old novice).  But I know i did it once before so I will proceed with confidence. But expect some "dumb" questions. Like how do I find and then delete the existing software you suggest I delete.     ....batpark

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hi.

Sorry, should have said, uninstall, not delete.   Follow these steps.

1.   Power off the HP Deskjet printer and disconnect the USB cable, if present.

2.  Click the "Start" button and select "All Programs."

3.   Click the "HP" folder, and then click on your printer's name and model number.

4.   Click "Uninstall." Select "HP Basic Device Software" to remove the drivers, then select the other software components.

5.   Click "Next" to remove the drivers and other selected software from the computer. Restart your computer, if prompted.

6.   turn on the printer

7.   Go to https://support.hp.c...ument/c03820126  (As you already have paper and ink cartridges set up) go to 

Step 3;  Choose the second option, 123 hp.  and follow the rest of the guide.

Not been on the site for a while, so am a bit rusty at the moment.   By the by, there are no "dumb' questions, only dumb answers.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
✓  Best Answer

Iammykyl: Modified rapture! I bulled my way through all those HP instructions and hit gold. My printer is back in business. Thanks a million for your help. ... batpark

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Batpark.

Thanks for finishing your topic and letting us know it is solved.

You are very welcome.