Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to find URL of a web page I want to remove

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Using W10 on a desktop, how do I determine the URL of a web site I do not want, so I can remove it. The site does not appear on the Remove Sites Listing in the screenshot 8-21.png Control Panel?

In particular, how do I remove this site (see screen shot)? Thanks. ..... batpark

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

You have a Mindspark PUP.  You can try just clicking on the bottom of the page where it says Restore New Tab Page.  That might restore it to the original new tab page.  If not try AdwCleaner:

Download : ADWCleaner to your desktop.

NOTE: If using Internet Explorer and get an alert that stops the program downloading, click on the warning and allow the download to complete.

Close  all programs, pause your anti-virus and right click on the AdwCleaner icon and select Run As Admin.

Click on I agree
Click on Scan  and follow the prompts. Let it run unhindered.
When done, click on the Clean & Repair button, and follow the prompts. Allow the system to reboot. After Reboot, AdwCleaner will popup.  Hit View Log File. You will then be presented with the report. Copy & Paste this report on your next reply.

The report will be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
If that doesn't help then let's look at the FRST scans

• Get FRST from http://www.bleepingc...very-scan-tool/You need to download the appropriate tool for your PC.  If you don't know if you have a 32 or 64 bit system get them both.  Only one will work and that's the right one.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Check the Addition.txt box
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.  
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • It will generate another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.