Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10, Disc full but no files?

- - - - -

Best Answer tinas777 , 10 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

Many thanks for your help, it is appreciated. After a battle, which included deleting everything I could, running dism (I think I’ve got the spelling right there?) and talking a bit on HPs fo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

tinas777

tinas777

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi,

All was well until I installed Google drive and tried an auto sync. I have a small drive and it tried to sync with a folder that was bigger than my drive (Oops!!!).

I've stopped the sync, which I noticed when the disc got full (I'm feeling really stupid here!). Deleted the synced files. Google drive didn't seem to want to stop syncing. so I uninstalled it and deleted all the files I can find.

Now my disc is full and I can't find the files. They are in the Windows directory, but remain elusive. I set it so hidden files are visible but am still struggling to find anything.

Any help will be gratefully accepted :)

Tina

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Download and run the following tool and it show you what is using the most disk space, etc. If you want us to take a look then upload a screenshot.

https://windirstat.net/download.html

tinas777

tinas777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Download and run the following tool and it show you what is using the most disk space, etc. If you want us to take a look then upload a screenshot.

https://windirstat.net/download.html

Hi,

Thanks for your reply :)

I ran the tool and its a load of windows files (I wasn't expecting that!). System cleanup tools dont seem to have shifted them. I guess if I had a massive disc they wouldnt be noticed but I'm using external drives so only have 30gb on the PC itself.

Google tells me they have something to do with updates, can I just delete them?

Thanks again

Tina

tinas777

tinas777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Sorry, I'm not sure what went wrong with the attachment!

Attached Thumbnails

• windows screen.jpg

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Please expand the Windows folder and upload another screenshot.

Also run the following.

Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
2. Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

tinas777

tinas777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi,

Sorry for the delay! Believe me, I really do nee to get this pc sorted. Life just keeps chucking curve balls at me.

I've appended the screen shot and the link is here:

http://speccy.pirifo...CA5WVyazZGioumu

The PC is trying to install some windows updates, and failing due to a disc space shortage. Its asking me to clear some space in the windows updates are on the control panel.

Many thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• windows screen.jpg

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

We can try cleaning it up to free some more space but you really need to either replace your hard drive with a larger one or you are going to keep running into these issues. I would recommend at least 120GB or more.

To Free up more space follow the steps follow the guides below

https://support.micr...-up-drive-space

https://support.micr...-up-drive-space

Edited by dmccoy, 06 September 2018 - 01:16 PM.

tinas777

tinas777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer
Many thanks for your help, it is appreciated. After a battle, which included deleting everything I could, running dism (I think I’ve got the spelling right there?) and talking a bit on HPs forum (they offered nothing more than on here really), I have given up.

Today I took It back to the shop and told them that it can’t successfully perform a windows update (in this case 1803 which needs 8gb), therefore it’s not “fit for purpose”.

I got my money back easily, the benefits of using a decent retailerI guess

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

You are welcome and Good to hear you got your money back.