Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any ideas about what caused this strange Thunderbird/Groupon problem?

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello there,

This is something that is (hopefully) no longer a problem, I am just curious to know what caused it.

My husband uses Thunderbird to view mail from his Yahoo email address. About 4 days ago, he started to complain that he was receiving one email from Groupon, a UK website which sends out offers on goods, holidays etc., multiple times. The email was entitled 'Last chance to get an extra 15% off your next holiday!'. None of the rest of his emails was being downloaded any longer, but every time Thunderbird checked for mail this email came through again by itself. In the end, there were at least 30 copies of it!

Yesterday, I ran virus and malware checks and nothing was found. Today, I looked at Thunderbird and checked everything I could think of and the password etc was okay. I started Thunderbird in Safe Mode and also went into the web mail version of my husband's email account and found and deleted the offending email (of which there was only one) there. I am not quite sure which of these last two actions sorted the problem though I think it was probably the latter. Whichever it was, the problem seems to be sorted now.

I am really curious to know what could have happened here. Why would this one email keep being downloaded? And why did it prevent the rest of his mail from being downloaded into Thunderbird?

Any ideas, please?

Chris

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Probably just a bad email.  I used to see that a lot in the old days.  Haven't seen it since I switched to gmail about 10 years ago.  Apparently there is some signal that the email has been received that needs to be sent back to the server and it is getting lost/not getting triggered so the server keeps resending the same email.  Deleting the email on the server was the correct action.

If it comes back, make sure T-bird is up to date and then post your FRST logs and we can check to make sure there is no malware causing it.