Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 blue screen Error - 0xc0000225

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

MJP4628

MJP4628

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Started with srttrail.txt error which said I had an error with bootres.dll . Have tried quite a few things via online. Now I only get a "Recovery" screen - Your PC/device needs to be repaired. The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors. File: \windows\system32\config\system Error code: 0xc0000225 - You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media, contact your PC administat or PC/device manufacturer.

Can sure use some help, reinstalling really not an option because of situation I'm currently in. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hi MJP4628,

After doing some reading, try this:

Run an Automatic Repair on the system

This is an alternate way to boot the PC and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 10 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

1) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
2)
Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
3) Click Repair your computer
in the lower left corner.
4) Select Troubleshoot
from Choose an option screen.
5) Click Advanced options
in Troubleshoot screen.
6) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.

7) Windows will then look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Let me know how it goes.

MJP4628

MJP4628

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Long story, but I currently do not have my copy of Windows 10. If I go purchase a new one at "Best Buy", will this enable me to preform these tasks your asking me to do without creating more problems. I need to be able to keep programs and data that are on computer.

MJP4628

MJP4628

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I was actually able to put on a USB flash drive. Ran what you said above.

It said Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC. - Press "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC or Shut down to turn off your PC. Log file:

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Boot with the Windows 10 USB and access Command Prompt then follow the guide below. Let me know if you need more guidance or have any questions.

Type or copy and paste the commands below and press Enter after each one.

Change the all c:/ commands to the correct Windows drive letter below. If you need help, copy and paste the following command:

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this will display the correct Windows drive letter) see following example:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit |find "osdevice"
osdevice                partition=C:

1. d:
2. cd d:\windows\system32\config\regback
3. Dir (This will list the contents of regback, note the date and be sure that the contents are not empty. If it is empty then this will not work STOP and DO NOT proceed
1. copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)
2. Select ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied
3. Restart computer and test

MJP4628

MJP4628

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thanks for your response. Typed bcdedit |find "osdevice" - just went bank to x:\resources with no response

MJP4628

MJP4628

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok. Windows is on E: when I do the above all 5 files show 0 default,sam,security,software and system

MJP4628

MJP4628

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
As instructed I stopped and did not procced.

MJP4628

MJP4628

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
As instructed I stopped and did not procced.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay then that means you do not have a backup of your Registry unfortunately and your Registry is corrupted. I assume you do not have any Restore points as well?

If not, then I think the best option for you is to Perform a new install of Windows as follows:

1. Create an image backup with the program below or at least backup your important files. 

Macrium Reflect free

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

How to use

https://reflect.macr..._disk_image.asp

2. Backup your drivers using double driver

3. Create a report of the software installed and licenses using Belarc Advisor

4. How to Clean install Windows 10

https://answers.micr...1625b08?auth=1p

Another possible option if you prefer is to Refresh Windows 10:

http://www.thewindow...eset-windows-10

Advertisements

MJP4628

MJP4628

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Is there not any other options? I really need files and have a program that I cannot afford to lose.

MJP4628

MJP4628

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I originally tried some restore points but they did not work. Think cause may have been a possible recent update.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Are you able to boot into Safe mode or command prompt with the Windows 10 media? If so we can look at a couple more things but it is doubtful if your registry is corrupted to bad. Did you run any registry cleaning programs or anything before the issue happened?

MJP4628

MJP4628

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I can use command prompt. Do not see a safe mode option. Did not run a registry cleaner prior to problem. But when I first had problem I did run Ccleaner to try and fix registry problessed from command prompt.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay and you did not run the Ccleaner Registry cleanup?

Go to command prompt and try the following steps.

Step 1:
Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
Copy and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. bcdedit > 0 & notepad 0

copy and paste the results to your reply