Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any tips that can help with an old ide external dvd burner?

Dvd Burner Ide Fails 12v Power Hardware No light No spin Problem

Best Answer Markmarkmarm , 04 September 2018 - 01:35 AM

Solved thanks to Kamesa. I went and just picked up a dollar store car pjone charger and wired it up parallel and sodered it to the 5v pinout. It worked great. So thats how you make a psu with both... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Markmarkmarm

Markmarkmarm

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, i know it's old. But i kinda need it at the moment. I have this external dvd burner. It uses ide. The dvd burner is lg, but the case is generic and unmarked. I plug it in to a power source (12v with 5a) and the fan in the enclosure starts spinning but nothing from the drive. I put the ide dvd drive back in the computer and it works fine. Put it back in the enclosure and clipped it to the pbc, tested the voltage right from the power connector to the drive. I get 12v. So it's getting power. I swapped out the ide cable for a known good one. Still nothing. I connected the 5v usb b to usb a. No detection. No light. No tray spinning. Its getting the 12v... shouldnt it at least eject or have the led light up? Could this really be a problem with the pcb in the enclosure. I mean. All the connections look great. It has great soder points from the 12v and ground to the brick power supply. Why wont it detect. I even tried another dvd burner. Nothing. I really thought that 12v would atleast show a light or eject tray. Any help would be appreciated. I checked the capacitors with a meter. The board looks okay. Please let me know. Thanks in advance .

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

There is typically 2 voltages, 12v and 5v to the the drives. You need to check both.

Markmarkmarm

Markmarkmarm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the reply. Where would the 5v come from? Is it also coming from the wall. Should i make shift two adaptors. One to soder straight to the 5v? Because its obviously not pulling v5 from the usb. Its quite confusing?

Markmarkmarm

Markmarkmarm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer
Solved thanks to Kamesa. I went and just picked up a dollar store car pjone charger and wired it up parallel and sodered it to the 5v pinout. It worked great. So thats how you make a psu with both 12v and 5v.20180904_002352.jpg 20180904_002352.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180904_003154.jpg

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Good to hear you got it working.