Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will only respond if booted up in safe mode most of the time.

• Please log in to reply

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello!

About 4 days ago things started to go awry with my computer. At first it was long connection times to websites or other pages. Then I started having issues where after I clicked on a link that little blue circle would make a few turns then stop never connecting me. My mouse quit working so I tried another one and that one wouldn't work on my computer when they were working perfectly okay on other computers. And now for the most part the only way I can get my computer to do anything is to do it in safe mode.

I have Avast Premium, Malwarebytes Premium, Ccleaner and Adware programs that I run and ran only to have results with low to no spyware/adware/PUP's/ etc. A couple of times in the last day and a half after Ive rebooted the malwarebytes will show me a page stating that my real time protection is not on but when I have tried to turn it on it will do nothing. I've tried rebooting to Last Known Good Configuration and System Restore with no changes. 

I have a windows 7 premium operating system.

Any and all help with this matter will be so so appreciated. I thank you for your time. 

Peace to you and yours........

tazzi   

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
I have Avast Premium, Malwarebytes Premium

This is probaby one of your issues, you are running two different Antivirus programs. Having more than one antivirus installed and running can cause several issues. Antivirus programs don't play very well with each other because all of them want to control the system and resources. This can slow a system down considerably and cause a variety of issues such as erratic system behavior, Slow system, Freezing and even BSODs that can completely lock the operating system down. Also having more than one antivirus installed can produce false positives and actually provide less protection.

Please uninstall one of them and test. Personally I recommend removing both and only using Windows Defender for best protection, performance, compatibility and less issues. Let me know if this helps or not. If not perform the next steps below.

Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Step 1:

Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers

2. Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Step 2:

1. Click on Start menu

2. Type command to start searching

3. Right click on command prompt in list and select Run as Administrator

4. Copy and Paste each the commands after the numbers below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

2. (Windows 8 or higher)

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:

Copy and Paste the following command, and press ENTER:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will copy sfcdetails.txt to your desktop

Upload sfcdetails.txt  file

3. MD "%userprofile%\desktop\SystemDiag"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiag\systeminfo.txt"&msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiag\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /c:20 /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiag\SystemLog.txt"&wevtutil qe Application /c:20 /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemDiag\AppLog.txt"

• This command will create a new folder on your Desktop called SystemDiag
  • Compress files into a .zip file Systemdiag.zip
  • Upload the Systemdiag.zip file from your desktop to your reply

Step 3:

Download Process Explorer to your desktop

• Right Click on the procexp64.exe or procexp.exe and Select Run As Administrator
  • In the View menu click on Select Columns
  • Check Verified Signer, Virus Total on Process Image Tab
  • Select the Process I/O tab and check Reads, Rights and click OK
  • Select Options Menu and Check Verify ImageSignatures, VirusTotal.com > Check Virustotal.com
  • Double Click on the CPU Column to sort by highest CPU usage.
  • (Highest CPU Processes should be at the top once sorted properly)
  • Wait approximately a minute
  • Select Save or Save As from the File menu
  • Save SystemIdleProcess.txt to Desktop
  • Upload file to your reply

Step 4:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Let us know if it works much better in this mode?

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello!

Thank you for your response and help. 

I was uninstalling Malwarebytes and Avast when I decided to check out Windows Defender. When I clicked to open the program I received a window that said, "this program is turned off. If you would like to use this program, click here to turn on". When I clicked on that link I received this message, "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator. (Error Code:0800704ec). Please advise. Thank you.

tazzi

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Did you completely remove the other Antivirus programs as follows? If not please do so and see if Windows Defender will start properly after.

Avast Removal Tool. Follow guide below

https://www.bleeping...nstall-utility/

Malwarebytes Removal guide

https://support.malw...m/docs/DOC-1034

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello!

Yes I did remove the programs completely, or so I thought. I went ahead and used the programs you sent and unfortunately I am still having the exact same results. Please advise. Thank you.

tazzi

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I apologize for some reason I thought you were on Windows 10 and not Windows 7. In that case Windows Defender is not a full Antivirus program.

Windows Defender is not an anti-malware software.  It is a free active system monitor that provides real-time protection against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software. 

I would recommend that you only use Microsoft Security Essentials for your Antivirus which will disable Windows Defender which is no longer needed.

https://support.micr...ntials-download

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello!

In the Action Center in the antispyware programs and virus protection it is still showing Malwarebytes as a possible program choice. I uninstalled through the control panel so I don't understand. Please advise. Thank you.

tazzi

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Please follow the guide below

Malwarebytes Removal guide
https://support.malw...m/docs/DOC-1034

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello!

This webpage https://support.malw...m/docs/DOC-1034 

offers me Uninstall through the control panel (which I have
already done). It also offers how to Uninstall settings, license
information and othe configuration files and refers me to the 
Malwarebytes Cleanup .jspa?referer=%2Fdocs%2FDOC-1112.
In the top right hand corner it says "VUtility download and instructions here
Once I get to that web page I am lost.

tazzi

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay try the following link to cleanup Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes Cleanup Tool

https://forums.malwa...-support-tools/

Advertisements

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello!

Please forgive me I don't mean to appear real dumb but how do I attach a file to this message? I can not find a paperclip anywhere! Sorry!

tazzi

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

No problem. Click on the More Reply Options button on the bottom right next to Post button. Then you will have an option to Select the Choose Files button for uploading your files.

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello!!

My apologies for the lapse in communication, I have been in the hospital. I was worried that you would have closed me out and am over joyed to see you haven't. I just got home this morning. I plan on working on my computer after Ive had some rest but I just wanted to touch base with you. I thank you so much for still being here.

tazzi :-)

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

You are welcome and  I am glad to hear you are out of the hospital and hopefully on your way to a full recovery. Take your time and I am here when needed.

thefunkymunky

thefunkymunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Good Day!!!

Okay my friend I have a confession. So much time has gone by since I first contacted you about how poorly my computer is running that my trains of thoughts have jumped track. Actually, we never reached the point of running any diagnostics and such because we got hung up with trying to completely remove Avast and Malwarebytes as well as get Windows Defender responsive and up and running. I've re-read our messages to one another and I guess it's the medications I'm taking that is affecting my ability to sort thru it. So, if it's not to much more trouble would you mind so terribly to give me some step by step instructions just until I can clear the fogginess from my brains? It would be so much appreciated as was your kind words of encouragement, Thank you. I await hearing from you. Peace to you and yours!

tazzi