Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Wifi only connects in certain parts of my home

- - - - - tech preview

• Please log in to reply

Wired2Inspire

Wired2Inspire

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I recently had my laptop repaired.When I went home and reconnected it to wifi it worked fine,but in my room it disconnects.Not only does it disconnect when I take it to my room it does'nt show any networks in the list to connect to.I have reset my laptop and the problem is still there.Can someone help me?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:    Wired2Inspire,

When I went home and reconnected it to wifi it worked fine,but in my room it disconnects.Not only does it disconnect when I take it to my room it does'nt show any networks in the list to connect to

Two possibilities come to mind, the signal from the wireless router is too weak or something between the wireless router and your room is interfering with the signal, the former could be that your notebooks wireless card or the router itself is weak and the latter signal interference possibility can be caused by such things as other wireless devices, cordless telephones and/or microwave devices.

One test that you could do, ask someone that you know who has a wireless router if you can test your notebook by connecting to their router and then seeing how far away from the router you can go before the signal drops out, if you can get a lot further from the the router than you can get from yours you will have ruled out the notebooks wireless card as being the cause.  

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

The following may help as well

Download one of the following Wifi Analyzer programs

https://www.techspot...-inssider4.html
Double click to install it. Then run it by right click and Run As Admin.

It will show you a graph in the bottom right that has your signal in blue and competing signals in orange and yellow. It may also recommend a different channel which might have less interference.

Moving to a different channel (by logging on to your router) can drastically improve performance. There is usually a section for WiFi and one option is Channel which usually has value Auto. You can change it to a certain channel.

Easy to use Wifi Analyzer
https://www.acrylicw...m/en/downloads/

josh92

josh92

• Pip
  • 4 posts

There are many possibilities for this problem. Even I am facing this issue many times using SSID Network.

Sometimes Your Wifi Router Range is very Small

Sometimes Your Wireless Driver of your System may Out of Date or you need to update your wireless driver to solve this issue

You can install new wifi wireless drivers to solve this issue.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference

Interference

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.

Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

--

Reasons Wi-Fi Connections Drop