Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning up leftovers from uninstalling programs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

gismeu

gismeu

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello,

I am looking for a free app that will check my computers with different operating systems for parts of programs that didnt get cleaned up or removed in the normal Windows uninstall process.
Appreciate any suggestions,

Thanks, Richard

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi Richard,
Here's a link that should help with the manual uninstall process.
https://windowsrepor...ware-leftovers/

It also mentions several tools that can be downloaded, however we would counsel you to consider the reason for using such tools and the benefits and risks involved in their use.

The uninstall routines present in Windows do the job and yes they may well leave some remnants behind, but these remnants do not as a rule affect the running of your computers. There is rarely any need to use an auto tool to "clean the Registry" and we would counsel most strongly not to use them.

Please be sure to check that your back ups, system images, including full Registry backups, are up to date, include everything you need, are reproducible and that you have at least 3 copies of them on different media with at least one copy on removable media kept offsite.

When using Regedit it is quite possible to render your machine unbootable by making a simple typo mistake, hence checking your back ups most carefully, and coming to an informed view of the likely benefits to be obtained compared with the risks involved is a vital step.

Post back if you need further information'
regards
paws

gismeu

gismeu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello Tech Teacher,

Thanks for your long reply!!!

I was more referring to cases where I once had some PDF converter software and despite uninstalling it the usual way, using Windows, I still get a pop-up ad from them every time I start my computer and what I had in mind was something like ‘ IObit uninstaller’ to get rid of that left-over.
But after what you have written, I probably won’t do anything.

Thanks again, Richard

ezreal15

ezreal15

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks too! I'm also looking for a software to deal with this problem. Couldn't find anything on top1apk. I'm so lucky that i join in this forum and find this thread.