Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my controller card failing?

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

When I was uninstalling CCleaner, I noticed that I have a program named Web Companion.  It may have installed when I installed another program.  I didn't specifically install it.  I've never used it.  Is it okay to remove it or is it something that Windows or Internet Explorer or Firefox needs to run?

Edit:  I decided not to install HD Tune.  It was a Trial version and I don't wish to buy it later on.

Edited by Denisejm, Yesterday, 11:11 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,165 posts
  • MVP

It's foistware.  Feel free to uninstall it.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

In Post #116, I mentioned this.  Do you have any idea why these drives aren't recognized by My Computer or Disk Management and why my computer won't boot up

Last week, I bought another hard drive, connected it to my pc, formatted it, labelled it Drive D and moved files onto it.  It worked with no problems all day that day.  The next morning, when I booted up, my pc wouldn't get past Verifying DMI Pool Data.  I shut down my pc, disconnect all the hard drives that I had connected except my C drive and started connecting one at a time again.  The hard drive that was causing Windows to stop loading to my desktop was Drive D and 3 others are no longer recognized in My Computer and Disk Management. 

Do you have any idea what's going on?  Should I start a new topic for this?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,165 posts
  • MVP

Are these connected directly to the mobo or to the 8 port adapter?  Do the drives show up in BIOS Setup?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

The hard drives don't show up in My Computer or Disk Management whether I connect them to the mobo or the adapter card.  They were working well when I had XP running.  Except drive D, which was new, and I had it connected to the mobo.  I had to disconnect it because my computer wouldn't boot up past Verifying DMI Pool Data when it was connected even though it was working the night before.