Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my controller card failing?

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

The two gray slots are PCI the others are PCIe.  There are PCI 4 port SATA cards available.

Semlos 4 Ports PCI Sata Internal Raid Controller Card Sil3114 Chipset 013577 with 2 Sata Cables

$17.99

Would I have to buy 2 of these or can I keep the pci-e card that I have and keep the 4 hard drives connected to it and buy just one of these pci cards and connect 4 hard drives to it?  Would they interfere with each other?  (probably a very dumb question but I needed to ask)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,305 posts
  • MVP

For your drivers, unzip them then go into Device Manager, right click on the adapter (may say unknown) and upgrade drivers.  Point it at the unzipped folder.

You should be able to use both the PCI SATA and the PCIe SATA at the same time.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

The zip file doesn't appear when browsing for the file. 

I found this pci-e adapter card.  It has 10 ports.  I only need 6 ports but it looks like it meets all the requirements.

https://www.amazon.c... sata iii pci-e

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,305 posts
  • MVP

If it works.  Read the 1 star reviews.  It is Amazon so you can return it if it's a bad as they say.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Since my pc is JBOD and don't have a RAID array set up, it may not cause me some of the problems other people have had.  It's worth a try.  If it doesn't work, I can always return it and buy the pci 4-port card.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,305 posts
  • MVP

Assuming UPS doesn't lose your return again.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Well, I received the adapter card in the mail, installed it, connected a hard drive to it and my computer won't boot up to Windows.  It stops when it reads the card and sees a hard drive connected to it, right before "Verifying DMI Pool Data."  If I don't have a hard drive connected to it, my computer will boot up to Windows.  Even though it's installed, it doesn't show up in Device Manager.  I've been writing to the manufacturer and they said that the card is probably not compatible with my motherboard.  They have no updated drivers for it.

So I'm back to square one.