Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my controller card failing?

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Also, I went into Device Manager to manually update each item to see if there were driver updates.  There was one driver that downloaded, NVIIA GeForce GT710.  When it tried to install, I received two messages that said,

"Windows encountered a problem installing the drivers for your device." 

"Windows found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them - NVIDIA High Definition Audio"

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Yesterday, when Win 10 didn't recognize my hard drive, I went into BIOS and changed SATA RAID/AHCI Mode from Disabled to AHCI    and     SATA Port0-3 Native Mode from Disabled to Enabled.
Do you think I should change them back to their original settings?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Probably not a good idea to change things when they are working.  Night not boot if you do.

Process Explorer shows:

Interrupts    2.17    0 K    0 K    n/a    Hardware Interrupts and DPCs      

Interrupts needs to be lower than about 1.40 to run smoothly.

Usual cause is a badly written driver.  Hard to say which one.

Latency Monitor says things are slow. 

ataport.SYS

is not doing that well.  Most Intel based systems use an Intel Driver instead.  Might not hurt to see if the latest version of the Intel chipset utility will install.

https://downloadcent...llation-Utility

You should also see if the Realtek driver that I had you download before the install will install.  They have been having a hard time getting this right so there have been many updates and the one that Microsoft has may not be the latest.

Finally Microsoft Defender is causing Page Faults.  You might try the free Avast.  https://www.avast.com/en-us/download-software Stick with the free Basic version and avoid the free trial and any optional software.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

There are 3 options on the Intel chipset utility page.  Which one should I choose?

How do I uninstall Microsoft Defender?  It's not listed in Add/Remove Programs.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I'd start at the top and work my way down if the first one doesn't work the next one might.

You can install or uninstall Windows Defender.  Avast will automatically turn it off when it installs.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

When I installed Windows on an existing drive that had files on it, I thought that the Windows installation would first format the drive and then install Windows on it but it didn't.  All the files that were on the drive are still there.  Windows installation also didn't ask me if I wanted to create a partition on the drive, which I wanted to do. 

Can I still partition the hard drive if I move all the old files off the drive?

If I can, do you know of a good partition program?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The drive is already partitioned.  Just move or delete the old files.  If you need to grow the partition you can use

disk management

just search for it and hit Enter.  Then in the bottom window find the drive you want and click on the partition you want to do something to and right click

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks for the info :)

I thought I'd start connecting my hard drives today.  The first hard drive I connected was the new one that I was going to install Windows onto.  I went into Disk Management to format it but it's not there.  Do you think the new drive is bad?  Maybe that was the reason Windows couldn't install to it.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

When I open Disk Management, I get a message that states, "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it."  It has selected Disk 0 and "Disk 1, Partitition 2" is highlighted.  It has also selected MBR.  When I select OK, I get a message that says, "The system cannot find the specified file."  It's already tagged as "Healthy Recovery Partitiion."

I connected another hard drive to the motherboard when I shut down and it's recognized by My Computer and in Disk Management. 

How can I know for sure if the new drive that wasn't recognized in Disk Management was bad or if there's another problem?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Possible that it's bad.  Try an elevated command prompt then type (with an Enter after each line):

diskpart

list disk

Does the missing drive show up there?  Does it have a start under the GPT column?  Do any of your other drives show GPT?

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I'm not sure exactly what list disk is saying.  I took a screenshot but I have no program installed to crop it yet.  I've always used MGI PhotoSuite but it won't install on Windows 10.

I have 4 hard drives connected plus the CD/DVD drive.  In My Computer, 3 hard drives are recognized but not the new one I bought to install Windows 10 and it's not recognized in Disk Management either.  Disk Management keeps telling me that I need to format Disk 0 but when I try to do it, it tells me I can't.

Here are the screenshots of list disk and the messages I get at Disk Management.  Sorry that they're not cropped.

Attached Thumbnails

• Diskpart.jpg
  • Initialize Disk 0.jpg
  • Not convertible.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Got to be bigger than 0GB to work with it so the error is understandable.

Does it show up in the BIOS?

Is this the Western Digital drive?  Try running their test program:  Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

https://support.wdc....ds.aspx?lang=en

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I just typed an entire response and Firefox just quit and came back on by itself but without what I had typed because I hadn't clicked on "Post" yet.  First time that happened.

I ran the WD test but it couldn't check the new drive because it didn't show up under available drives to check.

The hard drive is brand new.  It's not the one that I bought to install Windows on.  I recently moved and couldn't find it.  Instead, I used a brand new WD20EURS hard drive.

I haven't gone into BIOS to check if the drive shows up there.  When Windows starts, AHCI lists Ports 0-5 No Devices Detected even though I now have 3 hard drives connected.  It may have to do with me changing the settings in BIOS to AHCI and SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode ---> Enabled.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I just thought I'd let you know that I connected a hard drive to the adapter card and it's recognized by My Computer and Disk Management.  :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

If you want to play with the BIOS settings, feel free but just make sure you know what they were so you can put things back if it's not happy.

When you say a hard drive do you mean the drive that's not working or just a drive?