Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 computer slow to shut down (Resolved).

Best Answer BrianR1976 , 20 October 2018 - 11:44 AM

It has been better. The only time over the past few days where I had a slow shutdown was when I ran Windows Update. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 64-bit computer and its been shuttig down very slowly as of late. I would say in the past two weeks its taken 3 to 5 minutes to shut down and last night I swear it took even longer to do so.  I am going to run Malwarebytes after I post this to see if there is any problem but I hope whoever reads this has some sort of idea what may be going on?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Here is the URL. I missed you saying that in the original post and tried to post the whole thing. It didnt work :P

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

I probably won't be able to pick all the issues out BUT there are 2 things I noticed.

You have 2 antivirus's running. That's not good. They will conflict with each other and most likely cancel each other out.

Windows Defender: 
Enabled

Antivirus: 
Enabled
Display Name: 
Avast Antivirus
Virus Signature Database: 
Up to date

All of the voltages are being reported bad. Phill will get you links to other voltage testers so that we can compare.

Voltage
CPU CORE: 
2.220 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 
2.220 V
+3.3V: 2.004 V
+5V: 2.802 V
+12V: 8.880 V
-12V: -8.880 V
-5V: -8.880 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 2.762 V

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Apologies for the delay, not been around for a couple of days.

Took a look at the Speccy report and other than the out of wack voltages (which we will come back to)  I can only see that Windows is badly out of date, you must get Windows 7 fully up to date asap as an out of date OS is vulnerable to malware attack.

For you to do: 

1: Get Windows fully up to date.

2: Run CrystalDisk info, see below.

3: Post an up to date Speccy url for us.

Download and run CrystalDisk info standard edition from here

Run the program, grab any screenshots and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Crap I thought I had it set to automatically update. When I run Windows update I get the following message. Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer. I did that and still get the message. I had always assumed it was due to the automatic updates thing.  And no worries about the delay, you have a life its totally understandable.

I think I figured out how to get it to check for updates. I told it to never do it automatically and its searching now. It's been almost a whole year since its updated. Hopefully I will be running updates tonight and then I will run the rest tomorrow.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Only updates that are left are the optional ones. Monitor and Keyboard ones. Any time I mess with my monitor it gets all weird so Im leaving that alone.

http://speccy.pirifo...1IaRg8iIQDtD86i

Attached Thumbnails

• crystalmark.JPG

Edited by BrianR1976, 27 September 2018 - 12:43 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Only got a couple of minutes but will be back later on.

Check for any more updates, there does not appear to be that many recently installed considering the OS was a year out of date.

The screenshot that you have uploaded is of CrystalDisk Benchmark, we need a CrystalDisk Info screenshot as it will tell us the health of the drive.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Sorry I grabbed the wrong program last night. Here is the info screenshot. Also I reran Windows Update and there are 6 non critical updates and that is it.

Attached Thumbnails

• crystalinfo.JPG
  • update.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

The HDD looks fine, the updates while necessary will not be causing the prolonged shut down time.

Couple of things for you to do;

Open Task Manager the next time that you shut down the computer (Ctrl - Alt - Del) make a note of anything that is still running.

Post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

Advertisements

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Here is the autoruns txt file. Hope I did everything correctly :)

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Autoruns does not look too bad but there are a few things that you could do without running when you boot up, again though these will not be causing the slow shut down times and what we were looking for was any left overs of previously installed programs that may have been causing the problem, we can help with disabling the unnecessary start up programs once we have the present issue resolved.

Did you do the suggested Task Manager check, if yes, what was still running when you shut down the computer.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I took a screenshot of the processes list right before I shut down. The CPU list was empty. I hope that is what you needed. It shut down faster last night. It's more sporadic as of late.

Attached Thumbnails

• processes.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Try opening the Task Manager while the computer is actually shutting down, this only if the computer appears to be taking an eternity to shut down, the idea is to see what if anything is still running whilst Windows is trying to shut down.

Couple of things that should help improve things for you;

1: Download and run TFC from here your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

2: Defrag your HDD with Auslogics free a tidy drive is more efficient  please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I ran both. Hopefully these things will help.