Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 computer slow to shut down (Resolved).

Best Answer BrianR1976 , 20 October 2018 - 11:44 AM

It has been better. The only time over the past few days where I had a slow shutdown was when I ran Windows Update. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Try opening the Task Manager while the computer is actually shutting down, this only if the computer appears to be taking an eternity to shut down, the idea is to see what if anything is still running whilst Windows is trying to shut down.

Don`t forget to do the above as well  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

It shut down slow last night and I tried to do open Task Manager but it wouldnt let me do it. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Try booting into Safe Mode only (no networking) then shutting the computer down after a few minutes to see how long it takes, make a note of the outcome then restart in Safe Mode with Networking and again give it a few moments then shutdown to see how long it takes.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

So I foolishly used system configuration utility to get into safe mode.  The computer started up and shut down much much faster. But when I went to put it back into regular mode I noticed everything was turned back on. I put it back to the way it was before (I think). Last night I ran the task manager as I was shutting down the computer. It looked like mostly Adobe stuff was active when I turned the computer off. I haven't used any Adobe programs in a few weeks so if I can turn them off on startup that would be great. I think I turned them off when I was putting things back together but I know a lot of that stuff never stays off. Sorry for maybe making things worse :P

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
used system configuration utility to get into safe mode.  

Not sure how you did that, MSConfig and Safe Mode are two different things, do you mean Safe Boot as that is one of the tools in MSConfig.

Regarding the Adobe stuff loading on boot, you can disable that using Autoruns, see the To Disable or Delete? information here

Start with just disabling all of the Adobe options, shutdown, reboot and use the computer for a while but without loading anything related to Adobe, shutdown to see if there is any improvement in the shut down time.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I used MSConfig to do it. I turned off the Adobe stuff while I was putting things right and things seem to be running a little smoother. Im running Autoruns right now. I will add to this post when I fgure out what I am going to do it with it.

So I ran Autoruns and looked at the LogOn section. I took a screenshot of the list and highlighted a couple things I have questions about. There are 5 of them. A couple are sound ones, if I turn those off do I disable sound on my computer altogether or will they come on when I go to use sound? There were a couple of items listed as NA there, do you know what they are? Lastly, before you responsed initially someone else dd saying I dont need Avast because I have Windows Defender. Is there any truth to this? I know Avast takes a long time to load when I turn my computer on so if I can safely remove it I guess I would.logon.JPG

Edited by BrianR1976, 05 October 2018 - 03:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I used MSConfig to do it.

That is not how you access Safe Mode, in Windows 7 you need to keep tapping the F8 key while the computer is booting up, please follow the steps as was suggested in my reply #19, we can come back to the other stuff once we know how the computer behaves in both Safe Mode settings;

Try booting into Safe Mode only (no networking) then shutting the computer down after a few minutes to see how long it takes, make a note of the outcome then restart in Safe Mode with Networking and again give it a few moments then shutdown to see how long it takes.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Sorry I've been really busy with school this weekend. I will do the safe boot thing tomorrow.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

No problem, school must come first  :thumbsup:

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I've tried 4 times in a row to get the computer to start in safe mode and I cant get it to work. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Odd that you can get into System Config but not Safe Mode, have you tried selecting the Diagnostic startup option in System Config. 

Can you tell us how you are attempting to get into Safe Mode and what actually happens instead of the computer booting into Safe Mode.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I turn the computer off then after a few seconds restart it. Three of the times I tried tapping on F8 and the fourth time I just held it down. I did this until the log in window appears. I had tried diagnostic startup and thats how everything was turned back on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Sounds to me like you are using a USB type keyboard and that the USB ports are not enabled on boot so the keyboard will not work.

Have you tried the Safe Boot option in MSConfig.

Download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

BrianR1976

BrianR1976

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

I ran the program. Everything except for Avast appears to still be off.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Sounds to me like you are using a USB type keyboard and that the USB ports are not enabled on boot so the keyboard will not work.

Can you confirm the above and answer this;

Have you tried the Safe Boot option in MSConfig.

I ran the program. 

And what if anything happened, if any repairs were made a repair log will have been generated.

Everything except for Avast appears to still be off.

Not sure what you mean by the above but if still slow to shut down let us know.