Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio Laptop Hard Drive

- - - - -

Best Answer Channeal , 06 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Hello Phill, Thanks for taking the time to study my Speccy report. The power settings have now been changed as suggested: - Power ProfileActive power scheme: BalancedHibernation... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello there,

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 at the end of 2016 with the aid of this forum and have been using it every since without any major problems. However, I am aware that all this time Crystal Disk Info has been showing that the hard drive has been showingsigns of failing.

Please could somebody look at the following Crystal Disk reports let me know whether the drive has deteriorated very much since Windows 10 was installed.

Here is the report just after the upgrade:

2016.10.16.jpg

And here is the latest:

2018.09.17.jpg

Many thanks,

Chris.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

The drive looks to be in pretty much the same condition in each screenshot tbh.

Stick to your back up regime and keep an eye on the CrystalDisk info readings, if the reallocated sector count starts dropping or you get any other amber warnings I would suggest you replace the HDD, you will be able to use your cloning skills  :thumbsup:

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

The temp in the 2nd one is a little warmer. It could just be you took the screen shot after the laptop had been on a longer time.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Thank you for your reply. I hope you and all your family are keeping well.

I did not think there was a significent difference between the two screenshots, but just wanted to be sure I was correct. It is great that the drive has lasted thus far. My daughter has often said that she quite regrets parting with the laptop now - even though she got herself a nice new machine with a lot more storage space! :)

if the reallocated sector count starts dropping or you get any other amber warnings I would suggest you replace the HDD, you will be able to use your cloning skills  :thumbsup:

My cloning adventures were a very long time ago now (2014, I believe) so I have most likely forgotten everything I learned back then! Am very impressed though that you remember; either you have a phenomenal memory, or you remember because I was a particularly troublesome person to deal with. Hopefully it was not the latter! :)

Thanks again,

Chris.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks for your reply, 123Runner

The temp in the 2nd one is a little warmer. It could just be you took the screen shot after the laptop had been on a longer time.

I think this is probably the case. My life has changed a lot over the past year due to my husband being very ill and I use the laptop a lot more than I did before, so it probably does get hotter. I will try to remember to check it just after it has been turned on next time.

Thanks again,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

All`s well here thanks and likewise I hope that all is well with you and yours  :thumbsup:

My cloning adventures were a very long time ago now (2014, I believe) so I have most likely forgotten everything I learned back then! Am very impressed though that you remember; either you have a phenomenal memory, or you remember because I was a particularly troublesome person to deal with. Hopefully it was not the latter! 

Good memory on my behalf I assure you  :yes:

Other than what has been mentioned by myself and 123Runner I can only add that you should look out for any drop in the performance of the HDD or any unusual noises coming from it, no need for me to nag about backing up your data which is nice  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

How are things going, any problems with the HDD at all or are you happy to mark your question as having been answered.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Apologies for taking a while replying to your message; I am languishing in the lower echelons of an NHS waiting list at the moment while suffering from frequent bouts of pain from a hernia! :(

I was concerned for a little while because the laptop doesn't always shut down properly, but I then wondered whether perhaps I occasionally mistakenly click on the option to make it 'sleep' instead of shut down. Assuming that is the case, then I guess there isn't much more we can do here at the moment.

I am always aware of the potentially unstable state of the hard drive and do not actually keep anything vitally important on here. If there is anything I do need to keep, I tend to copy it over to the main computer where everything is automatically backed up to an external drive.

A quick question: if you mark this as 'answered', it won't prevent me coming back to it and asking for further help later if required, will it?

Thanks as always for your help,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Sorry to hear about the hernia, you will hopefully be taken care of asap.

If you do seem to be having problems with the shutting down times I would suggest that you open the Task Manager before shutting down to see if there is any particular program or service running every time.

You can come back to this thread anytime that you need to  :thumbsup:

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

i think I have ruled out the possibility of the problem I occasionally have closing down being caused by me inadvertently selecting sleep mode. I tried deliberately selecting 'sleep' and then found that the laptop responded to me moving the mouse so that the screen where I am asked to enter the password came up. When the problem occurs however, attempting to shut down only turns the screen display off; the green power light remains on and the fan is still running, but moving the mouse has no effect whatsoever and the only way to turn the laptop off fully is to keep my finger on the power button for a few seconds.

i will try to take your advice about running Task Manager, the problem is though that it only does this on average about once a week. I will try to remember to check regularly before closing down though - and will report back here if I do manage to find anything.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 04 October 2018 - 04:33 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the update, and now we wait to see what occurs  :lol:  

You are welcome btw  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Was intending to add an edit to my last post, but you beat me to it!

I looked at Task Manager last night before shutting down, but was puzzled how it would help, as when the problem occurs the screen goes black and I cant see if anything is still running. Am I being stupid here? (Most likely!)

I did delete Acronis Drive Monitor last night just on the offchance that it might be the cause of the problem. I will see if it helps!

Have a good day. It's nice and sunny here! :)

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Can you run Speccy and post the url for us please.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

A coincidence considering that I had just mentioned this to you, but yesterday the laptop decided to vary its behaviour by playing up when I first logged on. Same problem: everything started as normal with the password screen coming up - but then nothing but darkness! It made me remember that it used to do this occasionally in the days when I first took over the laptop from my daughter.

Speccy url as requested: http://speccy.pirifo...Z8EozVQwRaZiPMw

Horrible day here, constant rain and extremely windy :(

Cheers,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

The HDD is flagged up again but other than that things look ok, I would change some of the power settings though, I have all mine turned off and the screensaver disabled.

Power Profile
Active power scheme: Balanced
Hibernation: Disabled
Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power): 20 min
Turn Off Monitor after: (On Battery Power): 5 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power): Never
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On Battery Power): 10 min
Suspend after: (On AC Power): Never
Suspend after: (On Battery Power): 5 min
Screen saver: Enabled

SAMSUNG HM251JI
Manufacturer: SAMSUNG