Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio Laptop Hard Drive

- - - - -

Best Answer Channeal , 06 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Hello Phill, Thanks for taking the time to study my Speccy report. The power settings have now been changed as suggested: - Power ProfileActive power scheme: BalancedHibernation... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi Chris,

There looked to be no RAM in the second slot but there may be a different brand from that in the first slot, the eight black squares are memory chips on a card that we can see clearly whereas the second slot is not so clear, only one way to find out I`m afraid and that is to open up the notebook and check.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

I looked at the RAM last night (I only have to take off a tiny cover to get to it on my machine) - and yes, there are definitely two sticks of RAM. Sometimes I amaze myself at just how stupid I can be: I really suspected at first that there were two sticks of RAM, but was confused by the very different appearance of the two sticks and also, from Message #34: -

This is probably a really stupid question to you.....but of the two items/layers in the picture below, which is the RAM? And what is the other one? I want to make absolutely sure before I attempt to remove anything.

EDIT I suppose they could both be RAM. One of them says 'warrantty void if removed' though. And they both look so different.....so I am completely confused!

The bit about the warrantly really confused me - and made me afraid of even touching that stick of RAM, as I thought it might be something else that just happened to look a bit like RAM. (I should have realised from the fact that it was held in place by the same spring clips though)! But why would Sony put in two entirely different kinds of RAM? (The notebook was my daughter's before I acquired it and there is absolutely no way she would have interfered with the RAM at all).

Never mind; these things are designed to try and perplex us! I am going to have a go at removing the sticks of RAM one at a time in the (probably very unlikely) hope that it might make a difference. At the very least, it will keep me amused for a short while on a cold, dark, Sunday afternoon. :laughing:

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Channeal, 17 November 2019 - 09:59 AM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

2ND MESSAGE

Hello Phill,

I have some really good news but - just to prevent me from celebrating too much - a little bit of bad too!

The good news is that I took out the stick of RAM (the one I was not sure initially was RAM) and turned on the notebook - and it started up!

I also sussed out that the reason the RAM looked so different is that it has to go in upside down from the other one, it is the only way you can do it.

The bad news is that I did a scan with Crucial UK and found out that I needed a second 2 GB stick of RAM to make it up to 4 GB. I very nearly went ahead and ordered one, but then I thought I had better investigate further. It was a good thing I did, as I discovered that both sticks will work in the first slot, but not in the second one. So presumably there is a problem with the slot itself. Does that sound a possibility and, if so, can I do anything about it? Would it be okay to just buy a 4 GB stick and keep the other slot empty? I seem to remember reading here that it is better to have equal RAM in both slots, but am not sure whether or not that applies to notebooks, or only desktops.

At least I can get into my Vaio again though and everything is still there just as it was a whole year ago! :thumbsup: 

Bye for now,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Good work on your behalf  :thumbsup:

I discovered that both sticks will work in the first slot, but not in the second one. So presumably there is a problem with the slot itself. 

Was there RAM in slot one when you tested both sticks in the second slot.

Some MBs will not work unless there is RAM in a particular slot, this can make testing two sticks of RAM somewhat difficult.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Some MBs will not work unless there is RAM in a particular slot, this can make testing two sticks of RAM somewhat difficult.

Ah but....... if both sticks have been tested individually and found to be okay as both work in slot 1, surely they should work when one is in slot 1, while the other is in slot 2? Doesn't the fact that they don't prove that slot 2 must be faulty?

Thanks,

Chris

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Please see the below which is my canned text for as to how to physically test the RAM on a computer, it will hopefully explain what I was getting at;

How to physically test your RAM.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the case power button for twenty sconds or so to get rid of any residual chrge in the system  and then take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU or if a notebook by touching a household radiator or associated copper feed pipe.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of RAM and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of RAM in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of RAM has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of RAM and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all RAM until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Now the really long winded part;

If no individual stick of memory or slot on the MB has an obvious problem all of the above needs to be repeated but this time by running Memtest 86 for each stick of RAM and in each slot on the MB and for at least 4/5 passes, for some reason that many of us cannot explain a stick of RAM may work in one slot on a MB but not in another.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is RAM in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Okay...... When each of the two memory sticks was tested in both slots before using memtest, neither would work in the second slot.

Using memtest, both memory sticks (A & B) completed the test and achieved 5 passes in Slot 1 without any errors

Stick A - completed the test and achieved 5 passes in Slot 2 without any errors

Stick B - memtest would not start up when in Slot 2

I then tried Stick A in Slot 2 again and this time memtest would not start up.

After several unsuccessful attempts, I had one further try a couple of days later and (hoorah!) this time was successful - both sticks A & B completed the test and achieved 5 passes in Slot 2 without any errors

I then decided to try inserting both sticks of memory together into the computer - and this time it actually booted up and is currently working okay. I will wait and see if this lasts!

Any idea what to make of this?

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 24 November 2019 - 11:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Someone has been very busy  :)

I then decided to try inserting both sticks of memory together into the computer - and this time it actually booted up and is currently working okay. I will wait and see if this lasts!

Any idea what to make of this?

Computers can be fickle and especially brand name ones.

If you don`t actually take the Sony anywhere I would be tempted to set the power plan to off when you close the lid and leave the thing in stand by mode rather than shutting it down completely.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

I have had a very full week, but have used the Vaio several times and it has been working perfectly. Today though, it started up fine but when I went  back to it after leaving it for half an hour, it had frozen. It was the same situation as back in message #20 a year ago, when I wrote: -

The screen froze, so I couldn't move the mouse or anything. I had to turn it off by holding the power button for a few seconds. Then when I attempted to turn the laptop on again, the green power light came on and stayed on and the orange light (for hard drive activity) flashed on briefly. There was some noise to suggest that the machine was powering up. The screen however remained completely black without even a flicker.

Now - once again - I am back to square one: the computer will work okay when either stick of RAM is inserted into slot 1 only, but not when RAM is either placed in both slots, or in slot 2 only.

Computers can be fickle and especially brand name ones.

I am kind of inclined to agree with you there! :smashcomp:

I am tempted to try getting rid of both of the 2MB sticks of  RAM and repacing them with just one stick of 4MB in slot 1, as the problem seems to somehow be associated with slot 2. I wonder if that would work!

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Gremlins at work me thinks  :ph34r:

You can run the Crucial system scanner tool to see if your notebook is ok with 4GB sticks, you will lose dual channel mode only running one stick meaning  that the computer will be slower, do you actually need more than 2GB of RAM, I would see how you go with 2GB for now.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Yes, quite possibly gremlins. Or maybe mischievous Christmas elves! :laughing:

I did run the Crucial scan back in message #63 and it mentioned a 4MB stick of RAM. That is what got me thinking about buying one. For the past few days the Vaio has been running okay with just one 2MB stick though, so will wait and see if that continues or not.

Many thanks for your help.

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Or maybe mischievous Christmas elves! 

I like that  :laughing:

The exact course of action that I would suggest, if you don`t use the notebook for anything too demanding why throw money at it.