Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internal 4TB drive spontaneously changes from NTFS to raw

• Please log in to reply

DVCnerfherder

DVCnerfherder

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I need some help with this one.

I have a server running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  I have a 500GB boot drive and a 4TB Seagate Barracuda drive which I am using as a media server.  I am running Plex on the box.  This setup has worked very well for well over a year and then several weeks ago the 4TB drive changed from NTFS to raw and I was unable to retrieve anything off the drive.  So I repartitioned and formatted the drive and restored all my files from a backup.  That ran for a couple of weeks and then the drive did the same thing.  Again, I reformatted, set it up as NTFS and restored everything from backup.  The next morning, it did it again.

Thinking the drive was bad, I went out yesterday and bought a 4TB WD Blue drive and repeated the process.  All of my files appeared to copy over from the backup drive but when I went to access the drive this afternoon it has happened again.  It has automatically reverted from NTFS to raw and I cannot access anything on the drive.

1) When I run Disk Manager, the drive only sees about 1.8TB of the drive.  If I plug it into another computer I can see the full 4TB at which point I can partition and format the drive (with one 4TB partition).  Then when I plug it back into the first computer it sees the entire 4TB partition.  Could there be something here that's the root cause of my problem?

2) Could it be a virus?  This computer it pretty clean, other than Plex, Avast and a couple of browsers I have a very little software installed on it.

The odd thing is that it ran for well over a year before any problems started.  Thanks.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Sounds like you are using MBR and not GPT format. Do you know. GPT format is required to read anything over 2TB.

Go to Disk Management

Right click on the Disk #

Select Properties

Click on Volume tab

Check what the partition type shows? MBR or GPT

DVCnerfherder

DVCnerfherder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

No, it's set to GPT.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching 
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt
Copy and Paste the command below into the command prompt and press Enter

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste the results to your reply or provide a screenshot.

diskpart
list disk
list volume
select disk 0
detail disk
list partition
select partition 1
detail partition
select partition 2
detail partition
select partition 3
detail partition