Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant FPS bouncing in games and random pc slowdown; no apparent dyi

• Please log in to reply

PaleHorse094

PaleHorse094

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hello there, Over the course of probably the last month, I've noticed games I've had no problem with in the past on certain settings struggling to run. After looking into a bit I've found that I'm getting constant FPS drops across every game I play despite no apparent bottleneck on either the CPU or GPU. Along with the following sympotms my computer seems to be randomly slowing down at times despite constant maintenance. 

CPU usage is showing between 23-25% on games such as For Honor and the GPU temperature is a stable 30 at desktop and never seems to really exceed the high 60's low 70's.

Today I've gone through the process of updating drivers for everything that I could on my machine via Intel driver manager and the Gigabyte app center but still to no avail. An example of these drops would be the following: whilst playing For Honor the game is somewhat stable bouncing between 25-50 fps on a 1v1 without a lot of noticeable slow down, playing 4v4 however despite being dropped to the lowest settings the game constantly bounces from 60 to as low as 6 with a lot of noticeable slowdown.

However I have managed to play the game in the past at a mix of medium / high with a stable 30+. so now I'm at somewhat of a loss and would appreciate anything at this point! My only guess at this point is perhaps the GPU is beginning to die? Its 5 years old now.

This morning I have also run a benchmark with Heaven 4.0 and the card never exceeded 69 degrees or dropped below 30 fps, 45 was the average with it hitting 30 in the more demanding scenes.

Thanks in advance!

Specs:

Intel i5 4690K

ASUS GeForce 750TI 2GB

Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 Motherboard

10GB DDR3 RAM

Advertisements

PaleHorse094

PaleHorse094

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts