Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sleep mode is engaging before it is supposed to in W10 (Resolved).

Best Answer geno368 , 20 October 2018 - 06:23 AM

Since the last reply to you on the 15th, everything seems fine right now.  I appreciate your help. If I keep getting these quick sleeps, I will post again.  I will mark as solved for now. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I have my Optiplex 980 set to auto sleep after 1 hour but it goes to sleep in about 30 minutes if I am idle.  What can I do to fix this?  Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-a.html

?

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Thanks for the reply, however I don't think that is the issue.  I log on in the AM and work for an hour and then do other things for about 30 minutes while the pc is on and unattended.  It sometimes just goes into sleep mode way before the hour is up. The link you provided, if I understand it, is about the system waking up for a short while and going back into sleep after 2 minutes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hope you don`t mind the interjection folks  :)

Am aware that you have used Speccy before geno368 but have included the following for anyone else that may happen on your thread but does not know how to follow the Speccy steps.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Thanks for the help...

http://speccy.pirifo...4CkmzV52AajyfHb

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Has the computer ever worked the way you want it to and without issue, reason I ask is because there are no Windows 10 drivers for the computer.

Speccy report does not look too bad but I would recommend a couple of things;

GlaryInitialize 5, such programs are not recommended on any reputable tech forums, they promise you the world but 9 times out of 10 they will hose your computer, uninstall the junk.

Your Power Plan settings look a bit unbalanced, you have the HDD setting as Never to turn off but the Suspend setting to 120 minutes (not one hour but two) Suspend includes power-off which looks the same as when fully shutdown.

Disable Hibernation, if described as being useless it would be flattering the setting.

Disable all of the other settings, restart the computer, use the computer as you normally would to see if the computer still shuts down when all settings are telling Windows not to.

Power Profile
Active power scheme: Balanced
Hibernation: Enabled
Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power): 120 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power): Never
Suspend after: (On AC Power): 120 min
Screen saver: Enabled Screensavers may look nice but they use power unnecessarily + there is no need for them with todays modern screens as they do not suffer from burn in.

To disable Hibernation:

1. The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
  3. Now just exit out of command prompt

Do the above then get back to us with an update.

You are welcome btw  :) 

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

The computer seems to be operating efficiently.  I don't understand the Windows 10 driver issue because I do auto updates.  Please explain...I updated my video card driver recently.

I followed your instructions and am doing a new snapshot for you to check...The screensaver shows enabled but when I go to the settings it shows no screensaver

http://speccy.pirifo...aGGWeQgflKPAPCg

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The computer seems to be operating efficiently. 

Sorry but what I was meaning to ask was has the computer worked the way that you wanted it to since you first installed Windows 10, a recent Windows 10 update for example may be the cause of the problem.

Windows 10 update info here

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

my build is 17134 but I don't know when the update was done.  It seems that this issue is only 2 weeks old.  How do I know what drivers Microsoft updated?

Should I revert back to a previous build in your opinion?  If yes, how do I do it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
my build is 17134 but I don't know when the update was done. 

Can I ask from where you got the above information from

Have you signed up to the Windows Insider Preview program.

According to Speccy your last big update was almost three weeks ago and for version 1803.

9/18/2018 2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4464218)

Advertisements

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

my build is 17134 but I don't know when the update was done.  It seems that this issue is only 2 weeks old.  How do I know what drivers Microsoft updated?

Should I revert back to a previous build in your opinion?  If yes, how do I do it?

Build # was in System information file.

Windows insider program...no

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Would it happen to be 17134.345, if yes, download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free) from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

It is actually 17345.285...should I still follow your suggestion?

Edited by geno368, 10 October 2018 - 12:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The difference between the 285 and 345 could either be the fact that I am running Windows 10 Pro while you are running Home or it could be that they are two different updates for Windows 10 Version 1803, Ive not had any such issues but please see release info below and in particular that which I have highlighted in red.

Try running the AIO repair tool if you will.

Version 1809 (October 2018 Update)
Windows 10 October 2018 Update,[484] or version 1809,[442] codenamed "Redstone 5", is the sixth major update to Windows 10 and the fifth in a series of updates under the Redstone codenames. The first preview was released to Insiders on February 14, 2018. The update was made available to public consumers on October 2, 2018.[485][486] On October 6, 2018, Microsoft halted the rollout of the update due to a serious bug that deletes user's files after updating.[487][488][489] On October 9, 2018, Microsoft re-released the update to Insiders in the Slow and Release Preview rings, stating that all known issues in the update (including file deletion bug) was identified and fixed.[490][491]

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I ran the program and it found some problems.  I have not responded because I am testing the results. However, this morning, I woke it up and in  about 1 minute it went back to sleep...