Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Issue? - Won't Show External Hard Drive

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Leesie

Leesie

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Hi,

I plugged one of my external drives in via USB and it will not show up. I tried the drive on another computer and it shows up there, so not an issue with the drive itself. I have tried all three USB ports on the front of the computer, same issue. I have run windows troubleshooter, rebooted, still the same. I've uninstalled the disk drive via device manager, still the same. It does seem to show up under disk management, but that's the only place I can see it. It was working fine a few days ago when I ran backup. I am unable to run system restore for some reason on the machine, so that's not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Lisa,

Couple of questions if I may;

Have you checked in Device Manager to see if  there are any yellow ! or red X marks against the the USB ports/USB hub etc.

Have you tried any other USB devices in the same three ports to see if those devices will work.

I have tried all three USB ports on the front of the computer,

Suggests that the computer may well be the desktop type, if yes, have you tried any of the USB ports on the rear of the case, unlike the USB ports on the front of the case the rear ports are physically connected to the motherboard and do not rely on a cable that needs to be securely connected from the front of the case to a USB header on the motherboard.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you Leesie,  do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.