Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't load OS, not malware related

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Arcylix

Arcylix

• Pip
  • 4 posts

New to the forums, and hoping you guys can help me out. The laptop in question is an HP envy dv7 with Windows 10.

As I'm sure you're all aware, the latest Microsoft updates kind of screwed up a lot of computers. Unfortunately, it caused my laptop to not load the operating system after restart. I read about the issues, so I moved the hard drive to another laptop, loaded Windows off a USB, and saved what data I could. I then reformatted and repartitioned the drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it. I tested that it boot to Windows 10 on the working laptop, then put it into the first laptop. It did not boot.

Here's where it gets tricky. My laptop's screen is plagued with the white screen of death, and I know I need to get it replaced. As a result, I cannot read anything that's on the screen, and had relied on an external monitor when my laptop was working. Figuring it might be a BIOS setting gone awry (though I don't know why or how), I followed the manufacturer instructions on resetting BIOS. It was more guessing than actual knowing, however. When I turn on the laptop, if I wait 10 seconds or so, pressing a key returns a single beep for each press. Not all keys generate a beep (shift, ctrl, alt, for example). Pressing "enter" turns off the laptop.

I attempted to load Windows 10 and Windows 7 from a USB drive. Neither of them loaded. However, I was able to load a Linux OS off the USB drive. My guess is it has something to do with the BIOS settings, but I'm not sure what would be the cause.

I know the best thing for me to do would be to get the screen replaced so I can visually see what's going on, but I'm currently on disability and therefore not making much, let alone enough to take it to a repair shop to fix the screen. I'm hoping that, despite the odds, someone here can come up with a working solution to my problem.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Arcylix,

I was able to load a Linux OS off the USB drive. My guess is it has something to do with the BIOS settings, but I'm not sure what would be the cause.

Are you saying that the notebook will boot into and work ok in Linux and that the following behaviour only occurs if you try and boot into Windows;

When I turn on the laptop, if I wait 10 seconds or so, pressing a key returns a single beep for each press. Not all keys generate a beep (shift, ctrl, alt, for example). Pressing "enter" turns off the laptop.

Arcylix

Arcylix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:welcome:   Arcylix,

I was able to load a Linux OS off the USB drive. My guess is it has something to do with the BIOS settings, but I'm not sure what would be the cause.

Are you saying that the notebook will boot into and work ok in Linux and that the following behaviour only occurs if you try and boot into Windows;

When I turn on the laptop, if I wait 10 seconds or so, pressing a key returns a single beep for each press. Not all keys generate a beep (shift, ctrl, alt, for example). Pressing "enter" turns off the laptop.

Only when I boot from a USB drive will it boot to Linux. I installed Linux on the hard drive itself, side-by-side to Windows 10, and confirmed it booted up in the working laptop, but it doesn't load up on the one I'm having issues with.

Additional information, by the way: I thought it might be the cable, so I did purchase a new one. I also tried both connector points, just in case the cable or the connector point was malfunctioning. I have not tried installing just LInux on the hard drive and booting from that, though I could try that. I suppose if that doesn't work, another cause it could be would be a bad motherboard, though if that's the case, I shouldn't be able to boot into Linux from the USB, I think.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are going to need a fully functional screen of one sort or another before you will be able to sort this out, the fact that you can boot from a USB device suggests two possibilities, the boot sequence is set to boot from a USB device first and the HDD is not selected as a boot device in the BIOS.

Not sure what the cable is to which you refer as notebook HDDs do not have cables.

There is more than one variation of the HP Envy DV7, check the info here to see if it applies to yours, if yes, use the info to locate and remove the CMOS battery from the notebook then leave it out for five minutes, this should restore the default BIOS settings, once done, reassemble and test.

Make sure that you remove the main battery, the AC adaptor and press the notebook power on button for at least twenty seconds before removing the CMOS battery. 

NB: No need to quote every reply btw, it doesn`t help any and just makes for more reading,

Arcylix

Arcylix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

It's an HP Envy dv7-7233nr series. The cable I refer to is a simple connector from the hard drive to the motherboard, though I realize most are just insert/slide in.

I've taken out the battery, unplugged the charger, held down the power button for 20-30 seconds, then unplugged the CMOS battery, kept it unplugged for 5-6 minutes. Then I plugged in the CMOS battery, re-inserted the battery, plugged in the charger, and turned it on.

It doesn't boot.

Instead, the caps lock blinks continuously (no pattern, just a blink every second or so). I repeated the steps, only plugging in the charger and keeping out the battery, and still the same issue.

I'm at a loss now what to do besides taking it to a repair shop for what I'm sure is going to be costly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Replace the HDD and then try booting to the Linux USB device that you have, if you are able to boot into Linux, see if you can mount the HDD in Linux and view the data on it.

Got to be honest, I reckon that you are going to struggle troubleshooting this without the screen working.