Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File corrupt and not functioning now

• Please log in to reply

Commander

Commander

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello,

My computer recently started having a problem. I called Dell tech support who said they couldn't help me and told me to call Microsoft and/or Norton. I called Microsoft and was on hold for over an hour, got to explain my problem three or four times to different people as they transferred me around and finally the last person disconnected me and did not call back. Trust me it is not as fun as it sounds. So instead of calling back I e-mailed Microsoft with my problem...no reply. So I am wondering if I can get help here...

Here is my problem:

Three days ago two viruses tried to load them selves onto my computer. I run Norton Anti Virus 2004 (NAV) and AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition on Windows XP Home. Both programs, NAV and AVG, popped up saying they detected these files trying to be loaded and deleted them. The files where in my temporary internet folder so I deleted everything in there and deleted all backup files that NAV created in the quarantine folder. About 20 minutes later both programs, NAV and AVG, popped up saying they detected the viruses trying to load and again deleted them. At this point I ran a scan with NAV, AVG and Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta 1. Nothing was detected and all programs are up to date. I then restarted my computer in Safe Mode and ran the virus scans again. This time NAV found three virus files and AVG found 1. I deleted all four files. When I restarted in normal mode everything seemed fine. The next night a window popped up in the Task Bar. It said that a file was corrupt. I can't remember the name of the file but I know that it started with "CH". I think the file name was about seven letters long and ended in .sys but I am not sure about this. I turned off my computer and then restarted it the next day. When windows was loading it began to try and fix the corrupt file (at least that is what it looked like it was doing). It went through a series of three steps to fix it. After it was done the welcome screen loaded as normal. But now I cannot see any text and only icons. What I mean is that on the welcome screen I could see the icon that is next to my name but not my name. Also on the bottom left where you would click the red button to put the computer into stand by, shut down or restart all you can see is the red button and not the text next to it. I logged into my computer and the same thing is happening again. On my desktop I can see all the icons for the shortcuts to my programs but the names of the programs are not underneath the icons. I clicked on the Start menu which will popup but you cannot see any text either. You cannot see the text All Programs in the Start menu. Next I opened Internet Explorer and again it is blank. My plan was to do a system restore but I can't see any text so I can't do a restore. I have two computers so I checked to see at about where the text is to see if I can try to guess and click on them to get to the system restore window but it will not allow me to click on the text which I cannot see. Next I tried to enter Safe Mode again to do another virus scan but when Safe Mode loads there is a window that pops up informing you that you are entering Safe Mode and you can click OK to continue but I cannot see the text in this popup box and I cannot see the button. Like before I tried clicking at the location of where the button should be but that does not work. So I cannot enter safe mode either. My only other guess would be to do a repair install. It seems that the viruses attacked a file that windows needed to display the text and buttons. Although if I do a repair install the virus may still be on my computer and the same thing will happen again. It seems the NAV and AVG can't detect this virus. So if this happens I may have to do a clean install. Any suggestions before I try the repair install?

Thanks for your help!!
-Commander

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The taskbar message should have said the file was corrupt, run chkdsk

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot, it should go through 5 steps and then load Windows

Commander

Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you Keith for the fast reply! Yes what you said sounds right. chkdsk sounds right. I will try what you said. My only problem is that when I click on Start, the menu will pop up but it is completely blank so I can't click on run. But I think if I hit the windows key and R it can open it. I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

Again thank you!
-Commander

Commander

Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Keith, bad news, didn't work.

I was able to open run by hitting the windows key and R. I typed in what you said, chkdsk /f. Once I did that a window popped up and said the following:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

I typed y and hit enter. Then restarted the computer. The computer did not go through 5 steps when it restarted and everything looks the same as before.

-Commander

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get to run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

AND / OR

Type chkdsk /f /r which will take longer

Commander

Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When you say I need the XP CD, should I have it in before I type in the commands or will it prompt me to insert the CD. If it prompts me to insert it I don't know if I will be able to read it when it happens.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can load it first, which is probably best, or it will prompt you

Edited by Keith, 18 June 2005 - 08:57 PM.

Commander

Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I just finished the sfc /scannow scan. Once it completed nothing happened. Should I restart the computer now or try chkdsk /f /r?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You get a blue progess bar which just goes when complete, if there is not any change, run chkdsk /f /r you need to type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot

Commander

Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Keith, when I pressed the windows key and R to type in the chkdsk /f /r I noticed I could read the Run window. It wasn't blank like before. I logged off then logged back in and now everything seems to be back to normal. Do you think I should run chkdsk /f /r still anyway?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind, however, it will be OK to run it, though it takes a lot longer, so maybe leave it until you don't need the PC for a while.

Commander

Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Well have I time now so I may run it. Thank you again Keith for you very fast help!

At this point I only have one more thing to ask you. How did this happen? Was it related to those viruses? If it was related to those viruses, should I do another Safe Mode scan? I would like to understand this so that I can hopefully prevent this from happening again. Thanks again Keith. Hopefully it is fixed for good (knock on wood)!

Now that my computer seems to be working, I bookmarked the NAV help pages for the viruses that NAV found they are Trojan.Admincash.B and Trojan.ByteVerify.

Edited by Commander, 18 June 2005 - 10:18 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
More than likely, you can run scans in safe mode and usually turning system restore off helps make sure they do not set up home there, after you have run the scans, turn system restore on and create a restore point if the scans did not show anything.

The best thing is to go here

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This log to the malware section

You can get a few programmes to help prevent things, here

http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/

Edited by Keith, 18 June 2005 - 10:09 PM.