Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 startup repair loop even after clean install

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hello geeks here again with a problem with Hp Desktop windows 10 

I'm having problems a few months now every time i turn the pc it says 

Startup repair couldnt repair your pc 

the only way to make work is reinstalling windows keeping my files because i didnt have where to back up my files 

but if  i turn it off or reboot from a update the same problem i had to reinstall windows all over again so i leave it on sleep so now 

i backed my files and did a clean install and install several updates and rebooted 2 times and no problem

but i turn it off and the same problem again 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello x_LUIS_X,

Sounds like one of the updates is causing the problem, I have seen such a problem but with an older computer that was running Windows 10 without issue but it wouldn't boot after installing the Spring Creators update.

If the computer is presently working do the following for us;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hi Phillpower2 thanks for the help there is the info of my system

http://speccy.pirifo...MsoMvE5KDxuoXmA

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
i backed my files and did a clean install and install several updates and rebooted 2 times and no problem

Can I ask from where you obtained your Windows 10 Pro media;

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 10/13/2018 5:06:26 AM

See tutorial here and how to download a clean ISO from here

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

when windows 10 came out i upgrade from windows 7 and make a iso file

I just make a usb iso file from the page should i reinstall windows??

Edited by x_LUIS_X, 22 October 2018 - 07:43 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The original ISO is well out of date and to avoid the need to download and install a load of updates you are better off using the new ISO to reinstall Windows 10 in any event, before reinstalling Windows I would suggest that you make sure that you have all of your drivers backed up to a USB thumb drive ready for reinstalling once Windows has been installed, please note that it is important that the first drivers that you install after Windows are the the chipset drivers for the motherboard.

Disconnect the external USB hard drive until after Windows and all drivers have been reinstalled and Windows allowed to check for updates.

Something that I noticed in your Speccy report was that you are dangerously low on free storage space on the partition D:, your Windows C: partition is ok but see my canned info below for future reference;

Storage
Hard drives
WDC WD15 EARS-60MVWB0 SATA Disk Device

Partition 0
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #0
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 9C41AB70
Size: 1033 GB
Used Space: 52 GB (5%)
Free Space: 981 GB (95%)
Partition 1
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1
Volume Serial Number: DE363B8F
Size: 463 MB
Used Space: 383 MB (82%)
Free Space: 80 MB (18%)
Partition 2
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #2
Disk Letter: D:
Volume Serial Number: 0F1214E7
Size: 198 GB
Used Space: 198 GB (99%)
Free Space: 187 MB (1%)

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack.

Data only storage devices should not be allowed to get any lower than 10% of free storage space of the full capacity of the drive/partition on the drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you x_LUIS_X, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Sorry phillpower2 i was out of town and im installing windows 

and about the D: drive that is almost out of space that partition i made it for my documents  and theres no system files in it..

soon as I install and restart the system ill let you know thank you for your time and patiences..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No worries, I always check back with folk when their thread goes quiet  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hello Phillpower2 the same problem theres any difference  if I install windows from opening the usb folder and double click the installation icon

or booting from usb and then installing windows?

the second time 

i reinstall windows booting from usb and format the c: drive before i hope this time works

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
 the same problem theres any difference  if I install windows from opening the usb folder and double click the installation icon

or booting from usb and then installing windows?

the second time 

Sorry but not sure what you mean by the above  x_LUIS_X  :(

i reinstall windows booting from usb and format the c: drive before i hope this time works

You must format the hard drive, from Windows 7 onwards the drive is though normally formatted as part of the procedure when you do a clean install of Windows.

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

hello yes I format the drive before installation but the same problem.. :upset:

it does an update and the same problem repair windows startup loop i had to reinstall windows every time i turn it off

at first the system restore was working but now not even that..

theres a way to pick the updates like drivers to install and not the system ones??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Did you reinstall the motherboard drivers once you had installed Windows, if yes, did you install the chipset drivers first.

Can you run Speccy and post the new url for us.

We should check your HDD, see info below;

Download and run CrystalDisk info standard edition from here

Run the program, grab any screenshots and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Something that might be worth trying if the drive test good.

Make sure to only use USB 2.0 port on the back of your computer, Disconnect from Internet and disconnect all devices other then mouse and keyboard. Also only use a local account during install. This may at least allow you to Windows installed. If it installs correctly, then I recommend creating a backup image with Macrium Reflect as shown below before doing any other updates, adding software, etc.

Download Macrium Reflect free
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Follow guide below 
https://www.howtogee...backup-utility/

Next, Disable Driver Updates for Devices Windows 10:
Open the Control Panel and Select Devices and Printers.
Under Devices, right-click on your PC icon (computer name)
Select Device installation settings from the menu
Select No under "Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps …."

Download and install drivers as follows:
- Look for drivers at the website of the company that made the device/program. They have the most updated drivers for their stuff.
- If they don't offer drivers, then search Google for drivers from the PC/Mobo (OEM) manufacturers - and pick the most updated one from there.
- As a last resort, get drivers from the support website for the manufacturer of your PC/Mobo.

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hi phillpower sorry for the delay
But now the PC won't work at all
When press power it turn on but only the fans work but not the light from the CPU
And that's all :(

no wait i took it apart clean it change the battery in the circuit and it run again 

again after clean install same repair screen after reboot 

the log file: c:\WINDOWDS\System32\logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt 

i create a system restore point and its working again i use the program from microsoft to hide updates to stop the 1803 update

and i'm going to make a system image..

i try to install the driver from hp page but are very old from 2012,2011 and for windows 7 this is the page

https://support.hp.c...4/model/5061013

Attached Thumbnails

• Desktop.jpg

Edited by x_LUIS_X, 06 November 2018 - 11:08 PM.