Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cold room = PC whirs. Warm room = PC doesn't?

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

My situation:
When my heating has been on and the rooms are warm, I switch my PC on and it doesn't make a loud rattling sound.

When my heating has been off, the rooms are cold. I switch my PC on and the loud whirring sound is there. I have to leave it running for a few minutes before shutting it down completely. When I reboot it back up, the whirring sound goes, like something inside the tower has warmed up enough.

My question:

What could possibly be cold enough to start whirring? It only ever happens when the room is really cold.

Any info much appreciated

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Could be a lot of things.

Some thoughts for you:

A lot of materials will change dimensions when exposed to either warmer or colder environments, so any rotating mass with bearings will have factory set clearances that can be reduced by a colder environment....

For example:

1 cooling fans in the computer case or sited near the heatsink for the CPU

2 Fans in the power supply unit (PSU)

3 Fans on the video card (if fitted)

4 Optical drives (CD/DVD etc.)

5 Bearings in Hard Drives (internal and external)

6 UPS boxes of one sort or another

There are probably a lot more but these should give you the idea,

Cooling fans can be lubricated ( at home if you are careful and know how to do it) but don't try it on hard drives etc!

Regards

paws