Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re: Refresh Probably a very quick and easy answer for the right perso

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

d.brack

d.brack

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

I have a Windows 10 Lenova Erazer 315. I have refreshed it before but this time I really screwed up. I could probably have fixed this myself but I unfortunately bought a used gaming computer that does not have an exterior manual eject button for the dvd drive, along with several other sticking points I hit, as outlined below. I was refreshing because the last update messed up my ethernet connection, which has happened before.  Grrrrrr.   Why won't they let us pick our updates anymore???  Oh, yeah, NSA couldn't see everything we do that way!   

I refreshed my computer but I forgot that I had a Game disc in the disc drive. Duh. I believe that is my problem. I refreshed but it got stuck on the Lenovo screen for an hour. I wasn't sitting there watching it closely so I don't know if it got to 100%.  After the Lenovo screen passes I get nothing at all... the monitor goes to sleep. I think that because that DVD is in the optical drive it is trying to reboot off of that during the refresh and it will definitely not reboot off of a copy of 2000's Dracula 2. I tried to get into the bios to change the boot order but I cannot seem to get into all the bios settings. It said I failed with my password, which is why I assume it will not let me change those settings. I thought I had set it, because I had it written down, but the one I have written down doesn't work for the bios. I also tried to get into the recovery menu by restarting the computer over and over, which they said would send me into the troubleshooting options. That is not happening either. I attempted these things repeatedly, but if I am doing anything wrong or missing something that anyone could think of, please let me know.

Now, my question is, is there anyway of possibly fixing this without having to open it up and remove the optical drive to get the disc out I don't even know if I can get the disc out without messing up the drive, but it is the only way I can think of.  Is there anything I could load onto a usb drive to get it going?  One of the 6 or 8 (I forget now) is the first boot option, before the dvd. Like I said, I can look at the bios, but it will not let me change hardly anything. One or two minor things... I think one was time. Or is there a special key press that will get me into troubleshooting when I boot.  If there is, I couldn't find it.  So, that's my dilemma. As usual I am scared to death that I screwed it up for good and I haven't even had it a year. I hope someone can point me in the right direction so I can get it back up and running tomorrow.

I will probably keep trying to reboot because it is doing different things each time I try something and when I am done I once again try the turning it on and off ( at least 3 times) to get into the recovery options. Now, it is supposed to be powered off, but the keyboard and mouse are still lit up and that isn't the norm for my puter. That turning it on and off to tell the puter there is a problem by failing the boot blew me away. I had to look in several places before I believed it! LOL  Anybody else hate the way they have taken over control of our basic computer functions by making them automatic??? LOL

Thank you so much for time and reading my little problem here.

d

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Try th following and let me know if you can get into Windows or command prompt

Force Safe Mode with Power On/Off

1. Press the Power On/Off button to Start and Shut Down the computer as soon as you see the rotating loading circle
2.Repeat this 2-3 times to stat the Windows Recovery Environment.
3. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart from the Choose an Option screen.
4. After your PC restarts, select one of the following Safe Mode options you are instructed to from the Start Up Settings menu:
  • Safe Mode (4)
  • Safe Mode with Networking (5)
  • Command Prompt (6)
5. Wait for Safe Mode to load.
6. Logon with an Administrator account if needed.

If Safe Mode does not work as above then try with the following Advanced startup options:
  • Enable Low resolution video mode
  • Disable driver signature enforcement
  • Disable early-launch anti-malware protection

d.brack

d.brack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I wrote my post last night after working on it for hours so maybe I didn't make myself clear.  I have done that repeatedly and it has not worked.  This machine was originally an 8.1 that was upgraded. I used the 8.1 instructions to get into the bios. But it now says I have surpassed the security rules for attempting passwords.  I can not get it to go into safe mode in anyway that I have tried. Thank you so much for replying.  Thank you for your time!

d.brack

d.brack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I am going to run downtown and get a fresh USB flash drive to download the windows 10 installation repair thingy showed here.  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10    I am hoping that will do it.  I am using my Windows 7 to create this for installation on another computer. I hope I can get it right!

Edited by d.brack, 27 October 2018 - 01:19 PM.

d.brack

d.brack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Sorry, it is giving me fits trying to post that link.  

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

Edited by d.brack, 27 October 2018 - 01:22 PM.

d.brack

d.brack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

OK, that didn't work either. :(   I'm not sure what to try next.  I know I don't want to open it up to try to get that disc out of there manually. I do not do hardware!  Any other suggestions???

d.brack

d.brack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

OK. This is a fairly common problem. My bios is locked.  The error number is 0199 Security Error.  It is a Lenovo Erazer 315 gaming computer. You are my last hope before I have to take it to the shop. I am done searching because I am running into sale sites with pop up browsers, etc. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to unlock this hideous security system?  Please!

Thank you,

Respectfully,

d

d.brack

d.brack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Sorry. I just realized that you most likely will not answer because I could have stolen the puter.  I didn't.  But what my question is asking is probably unethical for you guys to answer. So, thanks again for your time. Peace.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I was away last night is the reason for not replying.

Most optical drive bays have a small pinhole that you can place a paperclip or similar in to manually open and remove the disc. 

What happens when you try to boot with the Windows 10 disk? Do you know how to access the boot menu so you can choose the correct Windows 10 USB to boot it from since you cannot access the bios. I cannot seem to find anything online about the correct hotkeys. Lenovo often uses one of the following. F12, F8, F10. If  this does not work then you can reset the bios by removing the cmos battery.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

If you have a backup of all your files, etc. Then another option is a full system restore as shown in the following link:

https://forums.lenov...ry/td-p/4034986

I did find something online that shows to access the boot menu as follows:

Press and hold the F12 key then turn on the computer. When the Startup Device Menu appears,release the F12 key.

Note: If the Startup Device Menu does not display using these steps, repeatedly press and release the
F12 key rather than keeping it pressed when turning on the computer

Use ↑ and ↓ arrows to select the desired startup device from the Startup Device Menu and pressthe Enter key to begin.

Advertisements

d.brack

d.brack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I didn't mean to imply you were late. Thanks so much for trying again.  But I have done everything you have said today and more. The security system has locked the computer and the only thing it will do no matter how I try is return to the bios page with no ability to change any options. I have exceeded the number of password attempts and it locked up.  That includes trying the Windows 10 boot disc.  Today I opened it up, and for the first time touched a piece of hardware!  I removed the battery.  I tried it after I let it sit with it out and then put it back in and no go.  :P  Then I put it back in and tried it.  no go.  :P  I did however learn that the exterior button to eject the DVD was not working.  I had pushed that thing several times, but since it did nothing and was so dumb looking and my certain versions of my computer does come without a DVD eject button, I figured that's what i had.  So after removing the side I removed the front and there was a button on the drive.  So I did get the disc out.  Didn't matter.  no go. That was the first thing I did.  So, I am still in the same position I was before. The passwords I tried were the one I set, my computer password, "password" and was next going to try "admin password".  I am so old school to try admin password.  I learned that 25 years ago, LOL  I dont' know if there is a more appropriate place to post this, or if anyone else will help me here, because it does have to do with bypassing security.  If you have any advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much for your time.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
If the removing the cmos battery didn’t reset it. Then Moat motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. Check you motherboard for jump that shows something about bios.

d.brack

d.brack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Yes, it does have CMOS jumpers. I saw it in the manual. But I have no idea how to use them.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay good, you need to move it so it shorts the pins together. It is usually on something like pins 1&2 and you move to 3&4. It may say for sure in the manual or if you can provide a closeup picture I can help more.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Here is a video that may help.