Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

resetting computer password

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

robirdman1

robirdman1

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I want to reset the password on my ASUS laptop, but when I get to the sign-in options, and try to change, I get "Something went wrong"  "Try again or cancel to set up your device later"

Is this because I am off line, which is the case, because someone sent me an email saying they have control over my email, camera etc.  

Also I tried to change my Thunderbird password and deleted the old per directions, and now have no place to enter a new one, and can't access their forum, or receive mail.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Do you have a microsoft account or local account? If Microsoft then you can go to to the following link:

https://account.live.../password/reset

robirdman1

robirdman1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I am uncertain. I wanted to change the password offline, in case the person is monitoring me.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

You can use another computer or mobile device if you are that concerned. A couple of other options are as follows.

1. Run in Safe mode which should remove most any malware etc from running
  2. Post to the malware forum and they can completely check and remove anything on your computer that is malware related.
  3. Backup your data and reset your computer to completely remove anything that may be on there that would allow any monitoring.
  4. Create and boot to a live Hirens, or linux USB/DVD, etc and run the browser from there so there is no chance of anything running that could be malware. 

robirdman1

robirdman1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I didn't understand the terms in step 4, but is there no way to have a local password, or does that do no good if on the web?

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

If you are not sure if you have a microsoft account or local account then I would go to that website and fill in the information. If it finds your account it will send a link to your email and provide an option to reset your password. This is all very secure and I don't think it can be hacked. If that does not work then according to the terms of use of this forum we are not allowed to offer support to bypass passwords. Google may help find some tools.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

This seems to be related to this post in which you had a licensing issue. We can no longer offer any more support until you can provide the requested information below:

http://www.geekstogo...g/#entry2626450

Download and save to desktop - https://go.microsoft...k/?linkid=52012
Once saved, run the tool. 
Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
 To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Edited by dmccoy, 29 October 2018 - 02:01 PM.

robirdman1

robirdman1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

A little history of this computer: I originally was searching for a computer that had firewire built in, to work with Presonus Firewire Studio music workstation.  No one seemed to have such any more and the Presonus recommended RAIN to me.,  I paid an exorbitant price of $2700 for a "Multimedia computer that will serve all your photo, video and music needs"   After a couple of weeks passed, I had to call to ask why it was taking so long and they said they were having configuration problems. When I received and set everything up, I was constantly having blue screens, something, I never had with any other computer. It was originally preinstalled with Home Version, and I didn't even know I had a disk.  After months of trying to solve the crashing problem, and repeated calls for help, I  found that they they went out of business.   

When it ceased to even boot up, much later, I delivered it to a knowledgeable computer friend. I forgot that a disk might be needed when I dropped it off.  He somehow put Ultimate on.  I later found I had been provided with a Professional disk, in a small book-like package that was in a bookshelf, instead of with the usual individual folder disks, as shown in the attachment. Yet the incompetent company installed Home version!

But I had already spent a week reinstalling all my programs, which was very involved as some involved early versions which had been repeatedly updated.  EG. MS Access which had been updated to 2000 from initially floppies.  And Photoshop CS6 which had a macro web builder in CS3, but files had to be copied from their site and manually placed in various folders, for it to work again.  I would be glad to use the Premium disc, if I didn't have to reset and lose everything all over again. I would even have upgraded somehow, but was and is this great fear of not being able to successfully get things running again after so many months of nothing but problems.  I never fully recovered everything from the previous reinstallation.  I dread resets, as it usually takes a week to get things back roughly to the state they were in before and then more subtle changes from defaults may take months.  The blue screen kind of problems with the Win7 computer and not booting at all were with the paid for preinstalled Windows and why I am so reluctant to start over again when the problems are somewhat different.  No more Blue screens but seemingly incapability with certain loads.   Attached are shots of the RainCare package and legally purchased copy, and if was possible to install this without losing everything again, I would be glad to do so.

The present problem does not even involve this Win 7 computer, but a Win 10 laptop.  And when I restarted in safe mode as suggested, and tried to change the password according to the menu, there was no such choice.

Attached Thumbnails

• Win 7 disk.jpg
  • RAINCARE.jpg

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I understand your situation but before we can offer any more help we need to confirm that you are running a valid version of Windows by performing the steps below. If not then we cannot offer anymore help until this is resolved. 

Download and save to desktop - https://go.microsoft...k/?linkid=52012
Once saved, run the tool. 
Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
 To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.