Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird laptop keyboard problem

#Laptop #Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

WaltonSimons

WaltonSimons

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello there people of the internet.

Now I have spent quite some time trying to figure this problem out to no avail and hope some of you could help out.

Since today's wonderful Monday morning   my laptop keyboard doesn't work inside Windows 10 or the command prompt advanced launch thing. However it works 100% in BIOS and on startup to enter boot options or the aforementioned BIOS. Also the power button works fine.

But that's not all as the moment I  try to use the keyboard once logged into Windows my touch-pad stops working, if I don't touch the keyboard touch-pad works absolutely fine.

External USB keyboard and mouse work fine.

Device manager  hides the standard  PS\2 keyboard and shows a "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)" error.

I tried deleting the keyboard and restarting, tried updating the drivers and got the same code24 error.

I used sfc  /scannow no files were corrupted.

My i8042prt registry (Default) value is 1 , start is set to 3.

For my knowledge the last windows updates (Today ) were for windows defender.

Sorry for the awful  formatting and thanks for reading .

Edited by WaltonSimons, 29 October 2018 - 08:23 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:   WaltonSimons,

Sounds like a driver issue - have you tried booting into Safe Mode, if not, use the USB keyboard to restart the computer to enter Safe Mode, while the computer is restarting disconnect the USB keyboard and see if the notebooks keypad works in Safe Mode.

How to enter Safe Mode

What is the brand and model name or number of the notebook.

WaltonSimons

WaltonSimons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I have tried out  safe mode and  the keyboard still didn't function on a side note I did not need a external keyboard to select safe mode apart the shift+restart part.

My laptop is a Acer aspire e15 e5-575g  .

Edited by WaltonSimons, 29 October 2018 - 11:40 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

It could still be driver related as in the wrong drivers for the keypad being installed.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

WaltonSimons

WaltonSimons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...ZbJCpMQSLjTFoLn

Here you go hope that helps, I have also considered that the separate keyboard processor  might be glitching out but I am not sure about that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You do have some out of date drivers installed, download the latest ElanTech touchpad drivers from here can you also make sure that you check that you have the latest Kaby Lake chipset drivers installed as well.

WaltonSimons

WaltonSimons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So I updated the mentioned drivers and still no dice I'll probably just reinstall windows while I don't have any project deadlines looming over and set up my notebook again. Anyhow thanks for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Sorry to hear that updating the drivers did not help  :(

Before reinstalling altogether, try a refresh which allows you to keep your data but re-installs Windows, see info here you may need to reinstall some of your apps afterwards.

You are welcome btw  :)