Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my very first website!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tugasmo

Tugasmo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello everyone.

I'm new here (first post) and I'm building my very first website. I have been following guides of how to make a website. "Day by day" I make changes which end up looking better or worse but I am having trouble to find something very complex/detailed to help me out because it gets tedious to be jumping from site to site and reading from head to feet about similar stuff or nothing important at all. I'm sure most of you will advise me to take a course but I can't afford nor do I have the time for that. I do appreciate guides (good ones) and/or softwares to help me build a webpage. It's just a marketing webpage, nothing to sell. Just information. Also I am having trouble with mailform thing. No matter what I try it just won't work. It either does nothing or opens a blank page without sending anything. What I want is for it to send the information typed in to my email and stay in the same page and get a pop up confirming it was sent.

To make it simple, I am looking for good guides of how to build a nice and simple webpage with a mailform thing.

I was also suggested to look up for tamplets and softwares to help me build websites but I can't find anything, internet is bigger than earth right now, you find anything be it useful or useless. Since you guys have years of this, I am asking you to share your knowledge with me.

Thank you.

Edit: I use Visual Studio Code - Suggested by a friend. He also told me to get some plugins but I have no idea what would help me.

Edited by Tugasmo, 30 October 2018 - 02:51 PM.

Advertisements

Kevin65

Kevin65

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Try to learn some front end languages like HTML CSS and one backend language PHP to build a good webpage, also you can use wordpress,wix platforms,or try themeforest to find a good template. 

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Hello everyone.

I'm new here (first post) and I'm building my very first website. I have been following guides of how to make a website. "Day by day" I make changes which end up looking better or worse but I am having trouble to find something very complex/detailed to help me out because it gets tedious to be jumping from site to site and reading from head to feet about similar stuff or nothing important at all. I'm sure most of you will advise me to take a course but I can't afford nor do I have the time for that. I do appreciate guides (good ones) and/or softwares to help me build a webpage. It's just a marketing webpage, nothing to sell. Just information. Also I am having trouble with mailform thing. No matter what I try it just won't work. It either does nothing or opens a blank page without sending anything. What I want is for it to send the information typed in to my email and stay in the same page and get a pop up confirming it was sent.

To make it simple, I am looking for good guides of how to build a nice and simple webpage with a mailform thing.

I was also suggested to look up for tamplets and softwares to help me build websites but I can't find anything, internet is bigger than earth right now, you find anything be it useful or useless. Since you guys have years of this, I am asking you to share your knowledge with me.

Thank you.

Edit: I use Visual Studio Code - Suggested by a friend. He also told me to get some plugins but I have no idea what would help me.

1) Without link to site, it will be difficult to help you with the mail problem. If you are using MailForm, I would recommend setting up a better email form for your web page. Should you not want visitors to open and use their own email program (using something like this in your HTML: <a href="mailto:[email protected]">Email Me</a>), you need to code your mail form to send email directly to you. There are many ways to set this up and your hosting's Control Panel probably has instructions on how to set this up. Or, you might be able to use this: Web Form Builder Lite. More good free stuff here: Free Web Design Software

2) You can search for hundreds of free templates: HTML Templates | W3.CSS Templates 

I recommend that you use HTML5 if you code your own pages.

3) Good source of guides:

a) W3c Schools

b) Again, a search will find you plenty of free tutorials: Tutorials

4) Lots of free software. I use to use CoffeeCup's free stuff until I decided to buy what I needed. Very good support and tutorials. They also have great hosting which ties into their HTML Editor. CoffeeCup Site

myiko

myiko

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello Tugasmo,

If you need to create a simple website you can use landing page builder. It's very easy to use them.

1) sites.google.com  - Best for making free landing pages with forms

2) carrd.co Best for building customized landing pages insanely fast

3) unbounce.com - Best for tweaking and optimizing your landing pages

4) leadpages.net Best for advertising and selling products on a landing page

But if you dont want to do your website yourself, you always can ask help from professional web development companies.

For example https://codeinspiration.pro. This company focuses on creating a professional websites.

Edited by myiko, 20 February 2019 - 12:12 AM.

williamjoseph_lpa123

williamjoseph_lpa123

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

It is my personal advise that before you install any kind of plug in while editing, please check the authenticity and popularity of that tool. Some plugins can lead to data leakage from the website.

Grace Hadid

Grace Hadid

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I would suggest you first look for some online creating website platforms where you will get to know how you can create and publish content and manage the website through some content management software like Joomla, Wordpress, Blogspot.

After which when you get to know about the mechanism then can try hands on the HTML, CSS, front end language, backend language too.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Redundant thread closed to prevent any further spam posts.