Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Top gaming possibilities on Amazon

Laptop Gaming Upgrade Hardware Amazon Cheap Overcloking

Best Answer phillpower2 , 04 November 2018 - 05:52 AM

Dsu87, You may get a half decent used notebook that is capable of playing some lesser demanding games but for more demanding games a dedicated IGPU, quad core CPU, 8GB of RA... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Dsu87

Dsu87

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've been trying to research myself but finding out how far you can overclock and upgrade several laptops isn't easy info. So I'm wondering on Amazon considering overcloking and room to upgrade, what's the best gaming laptop around $200.

https://www.amazon.c...&qid=1541330213

Edited by Dsu87, 04 November 2018 - 05:42 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:    Dsu87,

You may get a half decent used notebook that is capable of playing some lesser demanding games but for more demanding games a dedicated IGPU, quad core CPU, 8GB of RAM and better cooling are required, upwards of $750/1000 as a ballpark figure is more realistic I`m afraid.

NB: Please note that upgrading notebooks is limited and expensive, upgrading the RAM is most often the only possible upgrade option.

Dsu87

Dsu87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I found aHP EliteBook 8460P for $199 with a i5-2520M processor but unsure how far I can upgrade the RAM. So far that's the fastest processor I've found for under 200. But then again I guess most of these have integrated graphics? So who knows.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I found aHP EliteBook 8460P for $199 with a i5-2520M processor but unsure how far I can upgrade the RAM. 

Do you have a link so we can take a look.

The HP you mention can be upgraded to 16GB of RAM but with the processor that it has any more than 8GB would be wasted and having 8GB of RAM (2 Xs 4GB) sticks is only worthwhile having if the computer is running a 64-bit OS, 1333MHz is the fastest compatible RAM and no overclocking of any kind.

Dsu87

Dsu87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Links below. I also found a Dell Latitude E6430 with a i5 3230M processor but can't find any data on that one on passmark.

https://www.amazon.c...5GxL&ref=plSrch

Dsu87

Dsu87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
And ty, just what you shared there I had no idea. I used to tinker with desktops, alot but basically new to this now.

Dsu87

Dsu87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well about as good as it gets is Dell Latitude E5430 14.1 Inch Business High Performace Laptop (Intel Core i5-3320M. Passmark give it an avg CPU mark of 4113 and it's on the top of the list for i5 processors. So idk if I'm going the right direction considering intergraded graphics but from what I gather it's either what's mentioned above or 2018 Dell Inspiron Flagship High Performance Laptop, AMD A6-9220e accelerated processor 2.5GHz, 11.6 inch HD (1366 X 768) Display, 4GB DDR4 SDRAM, 32GB eMMC Flash Memory, Windows 10.
Links for both.
Dell E5430: www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-E5430-Professional-Refurbishedd/dp/B06XNP29BR/ref=mp_s_a_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1541334171&sr=8-44&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=laptop

Dell Inspiron: www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Performance-accelerated-processor/dp/B07BKQX2GS/ref=mp_s_a_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1541334292&sr=8-31&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=laptop&dpPl=1&dpID=51%2BRhkKB5nL&ref=plSrch

Edited by Dsu87, 04 November 2018 - 06:27 AM.

Dsu87

Dsu87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My apologies idky it's not giving a clickable link.

Dsu87

Dsu87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've always enjoyed taking something on the low end and seeing what games I can pull off on it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The Dell has a marginally better CPU in that it is a 3rd gen CPU and compatible with 1600MHz of RAM, some example upgrade options here use the recommended specs at Crucial and shop around to see if you can get a better deal.

Regarding OCing notebooks, various reasons why you generally cannot/should not even try, they tend to only have integrated graphics, locked CPUs, with OCing comes additional heat which the cooling system cannot handle + the power supply is not designed to be able to supply anything more than what it is supposed to for any specific notebook.

Dsu87

Dsu87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh wow ok ty. I'll just do the recommended and run it bare bones. Ty all.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome  :)