Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 November 2018 - 11:20 AM

Acer GX-781 Gaming Tower available from here or here Classed as a gaming PC mainly due to the add on video card which for best results you will need for Photoshop. Windows 7 has just over... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Loof

Loof

• Pip
  • 7 posts

My old Acer Aspire T180 running XP Professional has finally given up the ghost.

So I am looking to get a new comp.

I like tower PCs. Love Acer and like the look of Lenovo's (though I have never used one). I do a lot of image manipulation using mainly Photoshop and GIMP. Surf the net, and use open office for writhing and spreadsheets. I'd like a good, solid PC with a fast processor and a good size HD.

At present I'm still using the old VGA monitors and USB mouse and keyboard. I understand that some of the new comps require newer monitors but would prefer not to have to buy one as I have a loft full of old perfectly good ones.

The comp would be in my office next to my broadband hub so I could plug my LAN cable straight into it along with my Canon MX340 printer. But I would need to share the printer with other laptops running Vista and Windows 10.

This comp would be for personal use only, I'm not running a business it's more of a hobby thing, do my banking on, Ebay and stuff like that. So what I'm looking for is some sound advice on what's out there available off the shelf (Curry's/PC World) to invest my children's inheritance money in thats going to last me another 15 years.

Please advise. Regards Loof :0)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:welcome:   Loof,

Can you tell us your maximum budget.

Loof

Loof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I would say no more then £650.

Loof

Loof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I would say no more then £650.

Should I take it that the lack of response to my enquiry maybe due to the £650 budget?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Should I take it that the lack of response to my enquiry maybe due to the £650 budget?

Nope, you received no reply as we had not heard back from you for some five days and were not shown to be following your thread, this normally a sure fire sign that a thread has been abandoned, add to this that we are all volunteers here from many different time zones who can only reply when we have something to respond to.

what I'm looking for is some sound advice on what's out there available off the shelf (Curry's/PC World) to invest my children's inheritance money in thats going to last me another 15 years.

Your options from Curry's/PC World are very limited, you can get the required spec of CPU and RAM but not the VGA port you want, a DVD drive + the quality of the power supplies are not the best.

If you are set on purchasing from Curry's/PC World you will need to do a couple of things, get the PSU upgraded, purchase an adaptor that will allow you to use one of your VGA monitors with one of the video ports on the add on video card and if you need one on the new PC purchase an appropriate DVD drive.

If you are able to purchase from elsewhere let us know and we can see what is available.

Loof

Loof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Don’t know what happened there then.  I thought I had replied when you asked me my budget.

Anyway, no I do not have to buy from Curry’s/PC world, just thought that would be simplest.  I live in Brentwood, Essex.  If you have any advice of where locally to purchase a decent comp I’d appreciate it. Bu decent I mean a good solid fairly quick one that is up to the job.  It doesn’t have to be a super computer, like I say I just use it for Internet banking, Ebay, surfing, buying, emails, spreadsheets, (nothing complicated) and lightweight image manipulation, audio editing and stuff like that.  Nothing needs to be the best, just solid.  Also I really liked win 7 ultimate but I suppose that’s a bit old now and will soon be unsupported bringing me back the square one again.

Loof

Please forgive if I‘ve posted this twice.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
✓  Best Answer

Acer GX-781 Gaming Tower available from here or here Classed as a gaming PC mainly due to the add on video card which for best results you will need for Photoshop.

Windows 7 has just over a year left before becoming unsupported so best to move on, Windows 10 is very good once you get used to it.

Loof

Loof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

OK phillpower2 thanks for the advice.  Looks great.

Loof

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

You are welcome Loof  :)

Any other questions along the way let us know, other than that, enjoy your new computer  :thumbsup: