Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Driver updated. Windows Update done. Now ignoring half my RAM

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

I recently updated my GTX 1070 graphics card to ver 416.94 and then windows (here). Now when I start up my PC, I get a message saying CPU or RAM has changed. The only things that have changed have been the updates. Please help?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

https://www.forbes.c...e/#30472de271eb

The downgrade to Home limits the amount of RAM it will use to 8 GB.  Expect that's what happened to you.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I have 2 sticks 4GB ram. One of them isnt being detected at all now.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

If you go into BIOS setup does it see 4 GB or 8 GB?  If it's only 4 then one of your RAM sticks is dead.  You might try turning off the power and reseating it.  If it shows 8 then Windows has lost it somehow.  Don't suppose it has suddenly changed to the 32 bit version of Windows has it?

thowans

thowans

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I have 2 sticks 4GB ram. One of them isnt being detected at all now.

If you go into BIOS setup does it see 4 GB or 8 GB?  If it's only 4 then one of your RAM sticks is dead.  You might try turning off the power and reseating it.  If it shows 8 then Windows has lost it somehow.  Don't suppose it has suddenly changed to the 32 bit version of Windows has it?

I agree. First of all, check how much RAM does the BIOS detect. If everything is okay then maybe Windows reinstallation will help you.

If not, then it is the dead stick issue.

belkinn1

belkinn1

• Pip
  • 6 posts

First of all check if your bios is detecting both rams or not. If it doesnt, try that ram on another computer. That way you'll know whats causing this issue