Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer goes back into sleep mode shortly after waking. (Resolved).

Best Answer tsmonk , 21 November 2018 - 11:52 PM

Well, it's back. I'm at a loss. I wonder if it's hardware related. I'm going to set for hibernation. That will have to do for now. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

tsmonk

tsmonk

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

After waking my Windows 7 Pro desktop computer from sleep mode, it will go back into sleep mode in approximately 10 seconds. This behavior repeats until I shut down and restart. I have noticed that system sound is muted (icon in notification area) just before entering sleep mode but only once in the aberrant wake/sleep cycle.  My computer is set in BIOS to start from keyboard or mouse. I restored C drive from a Windows Backup Image but it did not go back far enough. I think the issue started the day before my scheduled backup. I have a cheap standard key board with no sleep key and a Logitech Performance MX mouse. The issue persists with both keyboard and mouse unplugged. I have checked advanced power settings but nothing stands out. I am going to uninstall a bunch of drivers in Device Manager as soon as I complete "honey do" list. How to proceed?

Updated AMD Radeon 7700 series driver. No change.

Edited by tsmonk, 17 November 2018 - 01:20 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks for responding. The issue appeared to be resolved after running the All in One Repair. I believe i followed all  instructions carefully. I put the system into sleep/wake several times without incident. However, when I enabled all services in msconfig, I was prompted to restart and Windows did not load. I got a black screen with accessible mouse pointer. I tried rebooting several times to no avail. I could not get to a restore point from my system restore disc so I am restoring from a system image, I'll give it another try later. FYI:  When I clicked on the services tab I notice there where some services already checked. Not sure if that is significant. 

Update: 

Second try of All in One Repair appears to be successful. There are some housekeeping chores to take care of (all disabled strartup programs were enabled, etc.) but I will mark solved as soon as I complete.

Edited by tsmonk, 19 November 2018 - 09:58 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Great news and thanks for letting us know that you no longer required assistance  :thumbsup:

Final nag from me, please make sure that you have created a new system restore point for the now stable settings.

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Restore point created. Trying to get Windows Backup to behave but that is another thread. System Image has saved me several times.

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
✓  Best Answer

Well, it's back. I'm at a loss. I wonder if it's hardware related. I'm going to set for hibernation. That will have to do for now.

Edited by tsmonk, 21 November 2018 - 11:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Did you try using the restore point that you created.

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Yes. First attempt failed. I turned off Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Failed again. Chose next previous point, Windows Update set by System. Again failed.

Edited by tsmonk, 22 November 2018 - 11:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Uninstall MBAM - Malwarebytes Cleanup Utility here

Run the Windows AIO tool, test then get back to us if you will.

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Ran Windows AIO tool. I let a Power Plan put the computer into sleep mode and it woke up without issue . I immediately set a restore point and created a system image before testing thoroughly, I will update this post  as soon as I complete testing.  FYI: I could not find a stand alone Malwarebytes Cleanup Utility on their web site, I had to run the Support Tool>Advanced option to access it.

Update: I have put the computer into sleep mode six times using  both a power plan and manually from the start menu and it came out of sleep mode without issue. While browsing the web after creating a system image, I found a reference to Password protection on wake up. I saw that setting in power plan advanced settings but neglected to check it. Turns out the default setting is "yes" and it was grayed out.  Subsequently found that the setting can be accessed on the left side of the Power Options panel by selecting Require a password on wakeup and Change settings that are currently unavailable. I selected Don't require a password. Now, I have never been prompted to supply a password on wake up but I am beginning to wonder if that may have been part of the problem. Anyway, I am reluctant to to declare the issue solved for another day or two while I give the computer thorough use. Will update.

Edited by tsmonk, 27 November 2018 - 06:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update which appears to be all good news  :)

NB: Looks like Malwarebytes have updated their site, thanks for letting us know  :thumbsup:

tsmonk

tsmonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Once bitten, twice shy. But heck, I think the issue is gone...Solved.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup: