Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

For rkinner

• Please log in to reply

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

hi ron.

1. i ran the data lifeguard diagnostic extended test.  it took 7 hours and 10 minutes and when it finished and i hit view results it simply said it passed.  there was no other info available.  ive attached a screen shot of it below.

2. i went ahead and updated my norton internet security to the latest current version.  maybe this will help too as possibly my older outdated version from a few years ago might of been causing some problems?

thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• extended test.JPG

Edited by louuu, Yesterday, 04:57 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,363 posts
  • MVP

If they say it passed then the drive is definitely good.  The drop at the beginning of HD Tune must have some other cause.  I wonder if HD Tune would work in Safe Mode?

Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly.  Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Safe Mode.  Login with your usual login.

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

do you want me to attempt to run hd tune by itself in safe mode or do i still have to use the latency program first before using hd tune?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,363 posts
  • MVP

Alone

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

so i ran hd tune in safe mode and the first time i didnt realize malwarebytes was attempting to connect and i dont know if that made a difference so i ran it a 2nd time in safe mode and the 2nd time there was no drop in the beginning although there was a drop at the end.  i dont know if the malwarebytes had anything to do with it or if it was just a coincidence.  i then booted up normally and ran hd tune again making sure all antivirus was off and there was a big dip again in the beginning as well as 2 big dips at the end.  ive attached all 3 hd tune pics and labeled them accordingly so you know which was which.  i believe you said these dips may have meant a possible bad drive?  but if the extended program i ran passed and you said the drive is most likely good this is confusing to me.  also as i mentioned this morning, on the bright side i havent had any bsod screens or freezing up in the last 2 days. thanks.  

Attached Thumbnails

• hd tune 6.JPG
  • hd tune 7.JPG
  • hd tune 8.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,363 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Appears MBAM is the culprit.  Run # 2 is decent tho the hard drive is not particularly fast.  Would  have expected better performance from a WD Black.  This is my WD Blue 1TB

hdtune.JPG

Guess we can stop picking on the hard drive but search for

device manager

hit Enter

Click on the arrow in front of Disk Drives

Right click on wd4004fzwx and select Properties then click on Policies tab.

Make sure Enable Disk Caching... is checked.

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

yes, disk caching is already checked.  by the way, if you think mbam is the culprit how come when i run hd tune in normal  mode with mbam off it still has that drop or drops?  anyway, if you feel im ok regarding the hard drive thats good enough for me.  or would you recommend i get a brand new 4tb wd black hard drive w/256mb cache if you think that might help if its a physical issue when you say my hard drives performance is slower than expected with a wd black drive?  if you suggest i get a new wd black drive i can simply use my marcrium software to make an exact copy of my current drive to the new one so i dont have to reinstall anything unless you feel its not a physical issue with my current drive and its a software issue that may be causing this and making a copy of my existing drive will only "copy" the problem to the new drive?  im willing to do whatever you think is best but of course if buying a new drive isnt necessary in your opinion then im ok with that too.

Edited by louuu, Today, 12:51 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,363 posts
  • MVP

Expect that MBAM wasn't completely off in regular mode.  Probably not necessary to replace the drive tho I always keep a cloned system drive around just in case something bad happens. 

Have you had any more freezes?

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

yes, i use macrium software that makes a backup copy of my drive 2x a day on my 2nd hd that is used strictly for backups so i always have a cloned copy in case of hd failure.  as far as my system running ive had no bsod or freeze ups for 3 days now and thats the first time ive gone 3 days without an issue since you began helping me.  it appears whatever youve done has helped because my system seems faster, including bootup time and shutdown time.  maybe i just needed a "system tune up" since the last time i really professionally cleaned up my system was with you about 1.5 years ago.