Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

For rkinner

• Please log in to reply

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

hi ron.

1. i ran the data lifeguard diagnostic extended test.  it took 7 hours and 10 minutes and when it finished and i hit view results it simply said it passed.  there was no other info available.  ive attached a screen shot of it below.

2. i went ahead and updated my norton internet security to the latest current version.  maybe this will help too as possibly my older outdated version from a few years ago might of been causing some problems?

thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• extended test.JPG

Edited by louuu, Today, 04:57 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,359 posts
  • MVP

If they say it passed then the drive is definitely good.  The drop at the beginning of HD Tune must have some other cause.  I wonder if HD Tune would work in Safe Mode?

Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly.  Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Safe Mode.  Login with your usual login.

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

do you want me to attempt to run hd tune by itself in safe mode or do i still have to use the latency program first before using hd tune?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 21,359 posts
  • MVP

Alone

louuu

louuu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

so i ran hd tune in safe mode and the first time i didnt realize malwarebytes was attempting to connect and i dont know if that made a difference so i ran it a 2nd time in safe mode and the 2nd time there was no drop in the beginning although there was a drop at the end.  i dont know if the malwarebytes had anything to do with it or if it was just a coincidence.  i then booted up normally and ran hd tune again making sure all antivirus was off and there was a big dip again in the beginning as well as 2 big dips at the end.  ive attached all 3 hd tune pics and labeled them accordingly so you know which was which.  i believe you said these dips may have meant a possible bad drive?  but if the extended program i ran passed and you said the drive is most likely good this is confusing to me.  also as i mentioned this morning, on the bright side i havent had any bsod screens or freezing up in the last 2 days. thanks.  

Attached Thumbnails

• hd tune 6.JPG
  • hd tune 7.JPG
  • hd tune 8.JPG