Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Web Pages Hanging/Buffering With 90+Mbps Down/Upload Speeds

• Please log in to reply

Zanshin

Zanshin

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

At my wits end trying to find an answer.

I have recently been ragging my provider (jazztel-Orange) here in southern Spain for slow and deteriorating internet speeds with pages very slow to load/buffering and at times won;t even do a speed test reading with Speedtest.net (Latency error) even though other speed tests which I can access show I am recieveing 85 to 95 Mbps download and similar upload on speedtest.es and fast.com  (Netflix's own speedtest server)

I am paying for 400 (yes 400) Mbps download through fibre optic but  I don't think my old Samsung can receive anywhere near those speeds. 

Antivirus scans with my main paid for Gridinsoft Pro (sister company to Iobit) Malwarebytes and SuperantiSpyware produced little or nothing with no change in page buffering.

Maintenance done every day with Advanced System Care, CCleaner as well and I have even been down into the engine room and cleared the DNS cach after another suggestion.

This morning, after searching many answers on the internet for the last week or two, I put the laptop (Samsung R730 about 6/7 years old running Windows 10 64bit, Pro, 8gig Ram,  and updated this morning)  in to Safe Mode, rescanned for viruses and nothing. 

Next to try was the interne in Safe Modet: Lo and behold, crisp almost instant page loading with no buffering and top speed readings on all three tests and fast.com was even reading speeds  of between 100-120Mbps download. 

Last week after speaking to my provider who did tests from their end said there was a problem with my ethernet cable. I took my not too old 5E cable down to the IT shop where they tested it and said "Nothing wrong with it". Anyhow, I still bought a new upgraded cable rated to 1Gig download speeds which I am now using, with no change. 

Thus, this apparently puts the problem with my laptop and not my provider I believe. 

Edited by Zanshin, 16 November 2018 - 08:04 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

FWIW, we have 100Mbps (up/down) FIOS and an old Acer laptop tops out at ~32Mbps when connected (wired or wireless) to it.

My two Desktop's and wife's HP laptop both get a bit over 100Mbps plugged into the same router with no problem whatsoever.

The problem is not the internet. It's simply the old, slow, under-powered laptop cannot go that fast.

Zanshin

Zanshin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

If that were the case, then surely the speeds would be relative in Safe Mode?  Besides which, I didn't have this trouble a couple of months ago. Page loading was not a problem.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts

Well no, not if it's faster than in "Safe mode with Networking". If that's the case, it sounds like some software that is running in normal mode is causing the problem.

If it was me, I'd simply restore a backup from a month ago, reboot and be back in business. (Macrium Reflect Free is what I use).

If you don't have a backup though, it's going to take some time wading through the "process of elimination" to try and zero in on the problem though. First, disable all startup programs, reboot and see if it solves the problem. If so, you know it was one of the programs you disabled. Re-enable say three of those programs, reboot and test. Still no problem? Re-enable three more, reboot and test again. ... etc., etc.. When the problem does return, you know it was one of the last three startup programs you re-enabled. Disable two of those, reboot and test. If the problem is still there, you know the culprit is the one you just re-enabled. If not, re-enable one of the two left, reboot and test. ... etc. etc. ... you get the idea.