Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various BSOD errors

- - - - -

Best Answer krepandus , 21 January 2019 - 06:56 AM

No restore points we're created as of the last one, cause there was no new software installed. As I said, I don't use it as much since I started my internship. I'll try to push some limits by redoi... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

I tried both options. On boot I got the reset started till 2% when I got an error saying that the reset couldn't be completed and option 2 asked me to insert an installation media. I only have a 4 GB usb with me atm (no CD drives) so I can't use it to make a boot USB. Is there maybe an option to use the ISO from the D drive?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Confirms that Windows is hosed  :(

You cannot boot from anything other than a USB device or an optical drive Im afraid.

Is there anything on the hard drive that you need to keep, if not, you could try upgrading the present version of Windows via the link that I previously provided for the ISO.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Yes, a lot of things actually. Guess I'm gonna borrow from someone a USB these days and try the option 2 again?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If you can still boot into Windows I suggest that you do two things, 1: Borrow as many USB devices as you can and back up your most important data first, this includes documents, pictures, music and videos, you cannot back up games or programmes, they will need to be reinstalled. 2: Do not shut Windows down until you are ready to do the clean install as it just may not boot up next time.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ill be able to get my hands on one USB today. Tell me, can I keep my D: drive files? Ive been thinking of keeping files and docs I need on it and just wipe the SSD.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

So I've just reinstalled Windows (Kept files on D drive) and installed the drivers. It's been 2 hours, no BSODs for now. I've just installed the basic stuff, WinRAR, malwarebytes, vcredist, VLC, discord etc... I hope everything will be alright now.

I know it's a bit offtopic, but I've installed Speccy again and I see the motherboard temp is still high: http://speccy.pirifo...LqVMlQIPEiqOdl1

Can something be done about that? I doubt it's okay to be that high, right?

EDIT: I just googled the issue.. A lot of users had the same issue and it seems Speccy can get a bit funky when it gets to reading temps... 

Edited by krepandus, 27 November 2018 - 07:59 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Always trust the MBs BIOS and own monitoring program over any third party software but do use the likes of HWMonitor as a comparison.

Give it a couple of days and see how things go, if we don't hear back from you we will take that all is well.

Final nag from me, make sure that you create a new system restore point for the now stable settings and before you ever install any new drivers or software.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Update: So I just got another BSOD while playing Civ VI. DRIVER_OVERRAN_BUFFER_STACK, smth like that. I'm uploading the dump file. 

Yes, I created a system restore point via DriverBooster before installing the first driver. I know it is reccommended to do manual installations of drivers rather than using such software, but I saw a lot of reviews by people on forums and reddit, saying it's an ok tool and that they've experienced no issues, and I wanted to do it promptly. 

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I created a system restore point via DriverBooster before installing the first driver.

Please avoid anything that Iobit have anything to do with, you will not find any reputable forum recommending them  :no:

Once Windows has been installed, you install the necessary drivers for the MB and other hardware and then leave well alone, drivers should not be allowed to auto update and you should never update any driver/s unless the new drivers are intended to resolve a specific issue that you are having, installing the new drivers can actually cause you the very issues that they are intended to resolve and uninstalling the new drivers may not resolve the problem/s.

Will check your dmp file and get back to you.

Edit to add: Did you use the same media as before to reinstall Windows, your crash dmp does not blame any specific driver but MBAM drivers have had issues and failed to load + there is the same security warning, see below;

Debug session time: Wed Nov 28 13:46:20.701 2018 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:05:12.478
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER (f7)
A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.  This overrun could potentially
allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.
DESCRIPTION
A driver overran a stack-based buffer (or local variable) in a way that would
have overwritten the function's return address and jumped back to an arbitrary
address when the function returned.  This is the classic "buffer overrun"
hacking attack and the system has been brought down to prevent a malicious user
from gaining complete control of it.
Do a kb to get a stack backtrace -- the last routine on the stack before the
buffer overrun handlers and bugcheck call is the one that overran its local
variable(s).
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000b9baa1f03f74, Actual security check cookie from the stack
Arg2: 0000bbbaa1f03f74, Expected security check cookie
Arg3: ffff44455e0fc08b, Complement of the expected security check cookie
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero

Debugging Details:
------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  GS_FALSE_POSITIVE_MISSING_GSFRAME

SECURITY_COOKIE:  Expected 0000bbbaa1f03f74 found 0000b9baa1f03f74

BUGCHECK_STR:  0xF7_ONE_BIT

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

PROCESS_NAME:  svchost.exe

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff8024ac38145 to fffff8024abc1680

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff50d`378ff6c8 fffff802`4ac38145 : 00000000`000000f7 0000b9ba`a1f03f74 0000bbba`a1f03f74 ffff4445`5e0fc08b : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff50d`378ff6d0 fffff802`4aefd017 : 00000000`00000000 ffffc384`e0705580 00000000`00000000 00000000`c0000102 : nt!_report_gsfailure+0x25
fffff50d`378ff710 fffff802`4abd1d43 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 ffffc384`e06be080 000000ee`0317f958 : nt!NtWaitForMultipleObjects+0x107
fffff50d`378ff990 00007ffb`4c1faa54 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiSystemServiceCopyEnd+0x13
000000ee`0317f938 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x7ffb`4c1faa54

STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
nt!_report_gsfailure+25
fffff802`4ac38145 cc              int     3

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  1

SYMBOL_NAME:  nt!_report_gsfailure+25

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME:  ntkrnlmp.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  5be4eec3

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xF7_ONE_BIT_MISSING_GSFRAME_nt!_report_gsfailure+25

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xF7_ONE_BIT_MISSING_GSFRAME_nt!_report_gsfailure+25

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Nah, it was another one. Friend came over with his copy yesterday and installed it.

variable(s).

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by this.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

variable(s).

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by this.

That info is from the crash dmp and nothing that was suggested by me.

Seeing as this install has only just been done I suggest you start again but this time do the following;

Use your own ISO which you can download using the information that was previously provided.

Manually install the drivers yourself and starting with the chipset drivers first.

Get Windows fully up to date and test by just browsing the internet etc.

Do not install MBAM or any other software/program until you have used the computer for a couple of hrs without issue, post back once you have done this.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

OK. I'll be able to do it on Sunday, when I come back from my trip. 

Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:thumbsup:

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

So I just did a reinstall of Windows and simply did an update via Windows Update, which, I assume, updated all my drivers? Should I download GeForce Experience and download the latest graphics drivers?

Also, I'm gonna do a system restore point that I can always come back to...

Now we play the waiting game or?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
So I just did a reinstall of Windows and simply did an update via Windows Update, which, I assume, updated all my drivers?

Sorry krepandus but that is not what was advised in my reply #26  :(

Use your own ISO which you can download using the information that was previously provided.

Manually install the drivers yourself and starting with the chipset drivers first.

Get Windows fully up to date and test by just browsing the internet etc.

Do not install MBAM or any other software/program until you have used the computer for a couple of hrs without issue, post back once you have done this.

Windows does not/cannot provide chipset drivers for the motherboard as they are only provided by the board manufacturer + Windows is notorious for installing the wrong drivers and that is why it was suggested that you install the required drivers manually and then update Windows.

Installing the chipset drivers first either from an installation disk that shipped with the board or possibly downloaded to a USB thumbdrive and then installed also helps to ensure that drivers for other hardware install without problem.