Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various BSOD errors

- - - - -

Best Answer krepandus , 21 January 2019 - 06:56 AM

No restore points we're created as of the last one, cause there was no new software installed. As I said, I don't use it as much since I started my internship. I'll try to push some limits by redoi... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
When I browse the web I usually have 2-3 tabs opened, YouTube and something else, always. Sometimes I open a few more when I do some research, but on average its max 3 tabs.
As for RAM testing, I mentioned I did a Memtest some time ago, but I think I only did one pass. There were no errors reported. I can do it again, tho, if you think its needed.

If the two bsods are unconnected then I have two different issues going on? :/

Edit: sorry about the late response, work was hectic this week

Edited by krepandus, 19 December 2018 - 02:50 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Driver problems can sometimes cause issues with the RAM and vice versa.

Did you read the info at the link that I provided, if yes, did you check Task Manager to see if there was anything hogging the RAM.

When using Memtest it should be run for four or five passes and for the most accurate results you should check each stick separately, see my canned info below;

How to physically test you’re RAM.

For thorough testing, each stick should be individually tested using Memtest86 and for a minimum of four passes, Memtest86 free download and “how to” guide here

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions first, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of RAM and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of RAM in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of RAM has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of RAM and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all RAM until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is RAM in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI - E slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.

No worries about any delay between replies, we understand that folk have other things going on, especially at this time of the year.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you krepandus, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

So sorry for not replying sooner, holidays were just a mess. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all af you at Gtg!

Did you read the info at the link that I provided, if yes, did you check Task Manager to see if there was anything hogging the RAM.

I've checked the Task Manager. As of now, 2.2GB (29%) of RAM are being used. but 0MB compressed of it. Is that odd? 
Google Chrome is using most of it, with, for some reason, 27 different tasks in it. 

As for RAM testing, I only have one RAM stick of 8 GB, so my question is, is it entirely neccessary for me to plug them out and in? Last time I did some handywork on my laptop a few years ago resulted in both my keyboard and two USB ports not working no more so I'd rather not tinker much if I don't have to :/ I'm thinking of leaving my pc tonight to do a full Memtest and then get back with the results.

Edit: Oh and btw, BSODs didn't occur as much, only one last night, while using blender3D.

Edited by krepandus, 03 January 2019 - 12:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries, a belated Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year  :thumbsup:

Chrome has a lot of different services running and that takes up memory, Chrome also has a history of using up RAM, close Chrome altogether and then check the memory usage, it should be really low.

I only have one RAM stick of 8 GB,

This is something that causes high memory usage as your RAM is only running in single as opposed to dual channel, you are only getting 50% of the performance that you would get if you had two 4GB sticks.

Test your RAM as you deem appropriate, we can only provide the info and the final decision is yours.

Can I ask what version of Blender3D it is that you are using.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you krepandus, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I am sorry for my silence again, Ive had a bad case of the flu and have just now gotten better. Will post memtest results tomorrow after work.

As of blender, I use both 2.79 and 2.8. Although 2.8 is a bit unstable i doubt its the issue for bsods

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries  :thumbsup:

Asked about Blender to check the required specs, all good on that front.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Did a Memtest run while I was sleeping. Just checked it. All is good. Would post the results log if needed if I could only find it. 

What's our next course of action? Checking the hard disk/ssd? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If you are happy that the RAM passed and for a minimum of 4/5 passes that is all that we need to know.

To do for us;

Post an updated Speccy url.

Upload any crash dmps that have been generated in the past couple of days, older dmps are of no use.

Download and run CrystalDisk info standard edition from here

Run the program, grab any screenshots and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Advertisements

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Here's the speccy link: http://speccy.pirifo...zFsB2rRGQ7rIt1W

Unfortunately, there are no newer dump files, I've used my PC seldomly in the last week and a half due to work. Times when I 'was' on it, there were no BSODs.

I've uploaded the screenshots, as far as I can see, all is good with my disk drives?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can`t do anything with no crash dmps but will not be complaining if you do not get any further BSOD  :happy:

No screenshots attached I`m afraid.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

My bad, here we go :D

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskInfo.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks and as you can see both devices are all good  :thumbsup:

Is the computer still running ok.

Are you creating new restore points before updating or installing new software etc.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
✓  Best Answer

No restore points we're created as of the last one, cause there was no new software installed. As I said, I don't use it as much since I started my internship. I'll try to push some limits by redoing stuff that caused BSODs before (blender, VLC player, games besides WoW...) to see if anything triggers.