Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand New Wireless Enabled PC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have an old PC still running Windows XP, SP3 with perfection may I add. It is hooked up to a USB Ethernet modem. My XP is not wireless enabled, in fact there is no wireless network adaptor icon shown in Device Manager.

My question is this -
I intend to buy a brand new PC complete with Windows 10. The set is wireless enabled.

Can I operate this new WiFi PC completely independent to my existing XP set, located 4 - 5 feet away, using only the WiFi feature - no USB. The only wiring being the power supply.

My view is that when my existing modem details (SSID, username, password etc) are entered into the new PC's wireless network, it will be fully operational using only WiFi.

Is this correct ?

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi, you don't give us the details of your modem so we cannot be sure.

However if your modem has a wireless Access point (WAP included in it) then the answer is YES.

BUT

Most modems that connect Via USB generally do not have wireless capabilities...

The usual set up would be to have a modem/router/switch/WAP providing several Ethernet ports so you could use one of them for your WIN XP machine and the WAP part of it for your new wifi equipped machine.

Incidentally, as I'm sure you are aware it is now generally considered most unwise to use an XP machine unless it is isolated from all sources of external data (that includes the Internet) without taking extraordinary precautions.

Post back if you need further info.

Regards

paws

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi, you don't give us the details of your modem so we cannot be sure.

However if your modem has a wireless Access point (WAP included in it) then the answer is YES.

BUT

Most modems that connect Via USB generally do not have wireless capabilities...

The usual set up would be to have a modem/router/switch/WAP providing several Ethernet ports so you could use one of them for your WIN XP machine and the WAP part of it for your new wifi equipped machine.

Incidentally, as I'm sure you are aware it is now generally considered most unwise to use an XP machine unless it is isolated from all sources of external data (that includes the Internet) without taking extraordinary precautions.

Post back if you need further info.

Regards

paws

Thank you. What details of my modem do you need ?

My XP has never had an infection and is working perfectly. Sandboxie and my AV do a good job.

Edited by John Bull, 29 November 2018 - 04:38 AM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I have phoned my broadband provider Virgin Media and been explicitly told that my existing modem is wireless enabled and supports WiFi.

So no messing about  with my old PC, I just enter my modem details into the new computers network and BINGO, the Internet appears and everything works just fine. No dongles, USB,  wireless enabling my old PC or complicated waffle, just a power cable and WiFi.

And my old PC is left working as normal close by.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Thats good to hear well done

:thumbsup:

The second line of my original response said

"if your modem has a wireless Access point (WAP included in it) then the answer is YES."

Your modem therefore must have a Wireless access Point included. ( as confirmed by Virgin)

On the question of your using a Win XP machine in a "non isolated" matter it is a procedure that is not without risk (not only for you but for other folks who may be using the Internet or with whom, you may share data/files. Using a good anti virus and Sandbox is a help but it is far from a perfect solution.  However as always it's your machine and your call on how you use it.

Regards

paws

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Thats good to hear well done

:thumbsup:

The second line of my original response said

"if your modem has a wireless Access point (WAP included in it) then the answer is YES."

Your modem therefore must have a Wireless access Point included. ( as confirmed by Virgin)

On the question of your using a Win XP machine in a "non isolated" matter it is a procedure that is not without risk (not only for you but for other folks who may be using the Internet or with whom, you may share data/files. Using a good anti virus and Sandbox is a help but it is far from a perfect solution.  However as always it's your machine and your call on how you use it.

Regards

paws

Thank you so much for that response and help.

XP ? No worry, I have lived dangerously all my life with 20 years skydiving and 7 years in the airborne forces.

There is no confidential information on my XP system, so come one, come all.

When I have transferred all the data possible from my XP  to my new Win 10, I will erase my hard drive and dump the XP.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

Edited by John Bull, 29 November 2018 - 09:11 AM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

@paws

Here is a photo of my modem, I believe it is called a Superhub -

wR2LOl1.jpg

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

The computer I have in mind is this - 

HP 21.5 Inch Celeron 4GB 2TB All-in-One Desktop PC.
ABOUT THIS PRODUCT - 

Interfaces and connectivity:-
3-in-1 media card reader.
2 x USB 2.0 ports.
2 x USB 3.0 ports.
Ethernet port.
1 HDMI port.
Bluetooth.
Wireless/Wi-Fi enabled.

i78X9UD.jpg

Edited by John Bull, 30 November 2018 - 04:56 AM.