Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC randomly restarts/powers off and mouse freezes.

Best Answer trips487 , 14 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

No problem and good luck  Okay I went to the tech and it seems that it is indeed the psu they said. So I will need to get that changed sometime in the future. That being said since the major i... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Those are voltages not temps and while they are not too bad please keep in mind what was advised about the BIOS readings in my reply #8;

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Couple of things for you to do, check the temps in the BIOS and let us know what they are and post updated screenshots of HWMonitor and Speedfan for us, we need to see what sort of temps the CPU and Southbridge are now reporting.

Advertisements

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

sorry for the late reply since the holidays are more or less over now I will do my best to reply more quickly now. Thank you for your patience. The only temps I could have found in the hardware section in the bios were the CPU and system. Right now it says it's around 48 degrees for CPU and System is at 25 degrees. I notice though when I play games the fans start getting harder and the pc gets hotter so these temps reach up as high as 71 degrees. 

Here is the required information you wanted 

Speccy: http://speccy.pirifo...aI7wFiRziU2hB5n

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries, temps are far better in Speedfan but we are missing the HWMonitor screenshot that we need to cross check a couple of voltages.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

No worries, temps are far better in Speedfan but we are missing the HWMonitor screenshot that we need to cross check a couple of voltages.

sorry about that I had missed that part. Here is the HWmonitor again. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• hwmonitorresults2.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by trips487, 01 January 2019 - 02:31 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Still getting the same high +5 and +12 V readings, how has the computer been behaving.

Hardware monitor Fintek F71868AD
Voltage 0 3.28 Volts [0xCD] (+3.3V)
Voltage 1 1.20 Volts [0x96] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 2 3.01 Volts [0xBC] (VIN2)
Voltage 3 1.41 Volts [0x78] (VIN3)
Voltage 4 5.68 Volts [0x87] (+5V)
Voltage 5 13.55 Volts [0x9A] (+12V)
Voltage 6 2.45 Volts [0x99] (VIN6)
Voltage 7 3.28 Volts [0xCD] (VSB3V)
Voltage 8 3.25 Volts [0xCB] (VBAT)

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

PC is running ok right now. Hasn't been restarting lately which is good but still gets pretty hot and noisy. The mouse cursor also sometime freezes still. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are only left with two options, because of the high voltages that are being reported I would suggest that you see if you can borrow a known good appropriately powered PSU to test with your system, if you get the voltages down, the temperatures will drop and likewise so will the speed of the CPU fan and the noise that it is making.

Two of your three fans are shown to be only running at 60% but the CPU cooling fan is running at 100% even when you only have HWMonitor running, the CPU fan is most likely what is making the noise, confirm this and if appropriate replace the fan and/or its heatsink.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

You are only left with two options, because of the high voltages that are being reported I would suggest that you see if you can borrow a known good appropriately powered PSU to test with your system, if you get the voltages down, the temperatures will drop and likewise so will the speed of the CPU fan and the noise that it is making.

Two of your three fans are shown to be only running at 60% but the CPU cooling fan is running at 100% even when you only have HWMonitor running, the CPU fan is most likely what is making the noise, confirm this and if appropriate replace the fan and/or its heatsink.

Hmm okay I will see if i can try to get another psu. It may be awhile for that though as money is an issue atm, but ill see if i get a cheap psu to test this out. Also how can i go about the fan issue until i find the psu? Should i just change the fan and see if it fixes it? Thanks. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

What about asking a local tech store what they would charge for testing your system with one of their PSUs.

Cooler Master RR-HT2-28PK-R1 Hyper T2  Please double check compatibility with your CPU and that there is enough room inside of your computer case.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

What about asking a local tech store what they would charge for testing your system with one of their PSUs.

Cooler Master RR-HT2-28PK-R1 Hyper T2  Please double check compatibility with your CPU and that there is enough room inside of your computer case.

Yea that could work. I will see about this but won't be able to until the weekend. If you don't mind Ill post an update within a week after i get this looked at by a local tech. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No problem and good luck  :thumbsup:

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
✓  Best Answer

No problem and good luck  :thumbsup:

Okay I went to the tech and it seems that it is indeed the psu they said. So I will need to get that changed sometime in the future. That being said since the major issue has been solved right now. I haven't received any major crashes and the mouse seems to be working alright right now. I think we can say this topic can be considered solved right now. So it's okay to close the thread. If for some reason I need to get help with this issue again even after I changed my psu should I just remake the topic or pm you directly to reopen this topic? Thanks all for the help and the patience. I really appreciate it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, not been around for a couple of days  :(

Thanks for letting us know that assistance was no longer required  :thumbsup:

Only if related to this issue, you can come back here if you need to as we don`t normally close tech related threads.