Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any cost-efficient way to lose heat?

• Please log in to reply

axl2468

axl2468

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

I've just noticed that one of my problems when it comes to my computer that it sometimes slows down. I took a quick look at Speccy, and I found that my CPU heat sometimes went from 60C to 90C. Wow. Now I know how my computer slows down.

I actually have no idea how to reduce the heat. I have a lot of options but I don't know the most cost-efficient way.

So my computer case currently has no side panel. I lost the side panel and I can't find it (lol). I heard that you should keep it close because the dust would just make it worse. I don't have the money to buy a new case for now so what can I use as a side panel? Or should I just leave it open?

I also have no computer fans besides the CPU fan. Should I get one? How should my air flow plan be if I should get one?

My CPU fan is also kinda old and I don't think it's that good compared to other CPU fans. Will my heat be reduced if I replace it? Is it worth it to skip buying a case fan and go straight to the CPU fan?

No idea what I should do. Asking for someone to give me advice. Thanks!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday axl2468.*)Closing up the case without having at least an exhaust fan, (+deally an intake one) would probably increae the temp of the CPU.

Does the case have more than one fan mounting point?

How many fan headers on the MB? and are they 3 pin, or 4 pin.

axl2468

axl2468

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

1. There is only one.

2. Sorry, but I can't check my computer right now, but my motherboard is this: http://www.cpu-upgra...M-P21_(FX).html

No idea what to look for, though.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

When you can, let me know about the case, model name would be useful.

Use this page for the MB, you can download the manual if you do not have one. > https://www.msi.com/...rt/760GM-P21-FX

Page 11 for the Mb layout.   Shows 1 x 3 pin system fan header, located just below the CPU fan header.

axl2468

axl2468

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Unfortunately, my computer's brand is a not that well-known (Qube) and the case is custom-made for that brand about 7 years ago. I don't have the manual (didn't come with one) so I have no idea if the case is even branded or not. Tried searching online for any possible documentation of my computer and the closest one that I can find which case is similar to mine is this: https://ph.pricepric...2-1167/reviews/

I don't think it's even the same one because mine had 8 GB ram and a 430 GT.

axl2468

axl2468

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

So i decided just to get a standard 80mm fan and to replace my thermal paste (I forgot that I actually removed my heatsink without replacing the paste).

How should I align my back case fan if the computer case is open? Should I make the air flow outside or inside?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Reinstalling the CPU without cleaning off the old TIM, from CPU top and Heatsink bottom, may be part of your heating issue.   Before you start and when working on the parts, take anti static measures by briefly touching a metal part of the computer case, or a PSU fixing screw.

As your already know how to remove/reinstall the CPU, I won't give instructions, try not to remove the CPU from the socket, unless the old TIM has gone down into the socket itself.

Hear is a blog on cleaning, reinstalling the CPU.   Essentially you need, the 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Generic cotton swabs. Arctic MX-4 thermal paste, some sort of cleaning solution and some cotton rags.  > https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/04/how-to-clean-your-dusty-messy-desktop-pc/  

The fan should be installed inside the case and blows air out of the case.

Close up the open side of the case using a stiff piece of cardboard, same size as the side, and fix in place using tape, like insulation or gaffa tape.

Please let us know how you get on, or if any more questions.