Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Critical service failed restart loop windows 10 (Resolved).

critical service failed Boot Reboot Windows 10 Loop

• Please log in to reply

Ninja666

Ninja666

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

You were referred to me by the Avast Forum.

I have a DELL N-5110 with Windows 10 and I am using a Google Chrome Browser.

The problem I have is that the other day when I attempted to login I got a message that said:

"Critical Service Failed"

Then a message popped up saying that a repair was being effected showing progress from 20% - 100%.

Then the laptop attempted to "Reboot" but maddeningly it resulted with the same "Critical Service Failed" message popping up with the same "repair" being effected.

But no repair is accomplished and no matter how many times I attempt to login this cycle is endlessly repeated.

I am sending the request from another laptop since I cannot login to my own laptop.

Heretofore I had not issues with my DELL N-5110 so I am at a loss to explain what the cause of this issue might be.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   Ninja666,

The following from a tech only aspect as malware guidance is outside of my remit.

See if you are able to force the computer to get you into the Windows (RE) recovery environment by restarting and shutting the notebook a couple of times using the notebooks power on button, it may take between 2 and 4 attempts, if successful start with the easiest option first which tends to be selecting a System Restore.

Ninja666

Ninja666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

PhillPower:

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to assist me.

When I follow the instructions you have provided above here is what happens:

In the upper right hand corner of my screen it says:  "Preparing One Time Boot Menu"

The laptop then goes to a screen which says:

UFI Boot

Other Options:

BIOS Setup

BIOS Flash Update

Diagnostics

Change Boot Mode Settings

When I click on "Diagnostics" a screen pops up which says:  EDSA Pre-Boot System Assessment.

The results of running "Diagnostics" says no issues were found.

Nonetheless the issue of Critical Service Failure remains and the eternal re-boot loop remains.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

I need to use another laptop each time I communicate with you so if it takes a while to reply to you I hope you will understand.

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Ninja666,

UFI Boot

Other Options:

BIOS Setup

BIOS Flash Update

Diagnostics

When I click on "Diagnostics" a screen pops up which says:  EDSA Pre-Boot System Assessment.

Those are the Dell notebooks hardware diagnostic tools and nothing to do with Windows.

Not sure at what point you are turning the notebook off, can you try again for us but this time wait until just before you are expecting to get the on screen critical error message then press the power button to turn off the notebook, as soon as the notebook powers down, use the button to power it back up again and repeat as necessary.

See if the info here helps any.

You are welcome btw  :)

NB: No worries about any delay between replies, Ive got the soldering iron on the go to replace some blown caps  :woot:

Ninja666

Ninja666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I turned the laptop off.

Then I started it and waited about 40 seconds until the Critical Error Message was about to appear.

Turned the laptop off gain and powered it back on and waited for the Critical Error message to appear in about 40 seconds and turned to power off.

I then turned the power back on and this time the page which says:

UFI Boot

Other Options:

BIOS Setup

BIOS Flash Update

Diagnostics

I realize this is a DELL setting but it is where I go when following the instructions provided.

I wish I could access Windows but I do not know how to do this.

Perhaps armed with your soldering iron and other magical tools you may be able to provide a magical cure.

Thank you 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

What happens if you click on UFI Boot

I realize this is a DELL setting but it is where I go when following the instructions provided.

If you cannot boot into Window or the RE it means one of two things, Windows is corrupt or the HDD has issues.

Is there any data on the drive that you need to try and back up.

The specs say that the computer shipped with Windows 7, is the recovery partition for this still on the HDD.

Do you have Windows 10 media, it may be needed for either an attempt at a repair of the OS or worse case scenario a clean install, if you do not have Windows 10 media, see here for how to download it.

Ninja666

Ninja666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  1.  In an idea situation there is Data that I would like to Backup or Retrieve.

1.  I am ashamed to confess that I do not know what a “Recovery Partition” is or how to tell if it is still on the     Hard Drive.

1. I do not have a Windows 10 Media:

1. On the link you kindly provided I can see that Windows 10 Installation Media can be downloaded but:

1.  Where do I download it to if I cannot open up my laptop and get into Windows.  I would need instructions on how to proceed with the download.

1. In a worst case scenario, I am willing to do a “Clean Install” if I were give the proper steps on how to do this.

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
What happens if you click on UFI Boot

Can you answer the above for us.

You will need access to another computer with internet connectivity and an 8GB or above USB thumb drive for downloading Windows 10, for trying to back up your data you will need a  computer with internet connectivity and a means of backing up the data, thumb drives, burning to disks or an external USB hard drive etc.

A quick way to check for a recovery partition, just be careful not to start the procedure

Turn on or restart the computer.

Press and hold the "Ctrl" key and press "F11" when you see the blue bar with "www.dell.com" on it.

Btw, whats with the large txt  :X

Ninja666

Ninja666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

When I boot my laptop in “UEFI” mode, the laptop simply reboots back in to the seemingly endless reboot loop.

I do have a USB Thumb Drive which has over 8 GB of available space. 

I also have an external hard drive which I think has a backup of the laptop with the problem on it.

Dell Support Assist

System BIOS 1.5.2

Service Tag: 3WJ6L72

ePSA:  Build 4304 09 UEFI ROM

Current BIOS Error (02) – Flags = 0) Timeout (0)

Pstr1 = (NULL)

pStr1 = (NULL)

BIOS Error (23) – Flags (0) ePSA error (0000) rc (0) @   12/12/2017  13:55:39

BIOS Error (23) – Flags (0) ePSA error (0000) rc (0) @   01/31/2018  18.46:26

BIOS Error (23) – Flags (0) ePSA error (0000) rc (3) @   03/04/2018  12:29:12

BIOS Error (23) – Flags (0) ePSA error (0000) rc (0) @   03/04/2018  12:30:09

BIOS Error (23) – Flags (0) ePSA error (0000) rc (3) @   03/04/2018  12:30:37

BIOS Error (23) – Flags (0) ePSA error (0000) rc (-1) @ 03/04/2018   12:39:56

BIOS Error (01) – Flags (0) ePSA error (0000) rc (0) @  06/26/2018   11:29:18

BIOS Error (01) – Flags (1) ePSA error (0000) rc (2) @  05/17/2018   08:36:14

Note:  There are more errors than I have entered above.  But to see them I need to be able to slide a bar on the right of the screen to bring up more errors.  Since my cursor is deactivated in this screen I cannot use it to bring up more errors and when I try to use the up/down keys on my laptop they do not do anything.  If there is another way to see the more recent errors let me know.

Thank you

Edited by Ninja666, 08 December 2018 - 02:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Time to try and back up your data, full details below;

Did you check for the recovery partition?

=================== 

***Required Hardware*** 

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso) 

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software 

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/ 

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer 

• Extract All files to a location you can remember 

• Double Click 1%20BurnCDCC%20Icon.PNGBurnCDCC 

• Click Browse 2%20BurnCDCC%20Browse%20Button.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded 

• Open/Double Click that file 

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x 

• Click Start 3%20BurnCDCC%20Start%20Button.PNG 

• Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically 

• Insert a blank CD and close the tray 

• Click OK 

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second 

•  

• Start the computer/press the power button 

• Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 

• Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 

• Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 

• Press F10 to save and exit 

• Agree with "Y" to continue 

• Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png 

3.  Recover Your Data 

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG 

• A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now. 

3b. Transfer Files.

•  

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders for XP is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each individual name of each user, for Vista and above  C:\Users\$USERNAME\[...]. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations! 

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png 

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to be able to boot from your USB device you may need to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example.

Restart the computer, Windows 8 and 8.1 from the Start or desktop screen move your mouse pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen, when the Windows Charms appear click the Settings Charm, click on Power and then the Restart option.

Windows 10, Click on Start,Power and then Restart.

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

If your computer will not boot into Windows at all, power up or restart the computer continually tap or hold down the key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer and then do the following;

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

If you're doing this to recover from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

Advertisements

Ninja666

Ninja666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I have the Windows 10 Media Tool on  my Thumb Drive.

Could clarify what steps I am then to take to  check the Recovery Partition.

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Turn on or restart the computer.

Press and hold the "Ctrl" key and press "F11" when you see the blue bar with "www.dell.com" on it.

Ninja666

Ninja666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I previously did that and all that appeared on my screen was the BIOS information I posted on my previous comment.

On the screen that came up no mention of "recovery partition" was mentioned.

Should I do something else?

Thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If the following does not work the recovery partition may have been erased or the HDD is toast.

Turn on the computer, after the Dell Logo appears and then disappears repeatedly press the <F8> key until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu.
From the Advanced Boot Options highlight Repair Your Computer with the arrow keys and press <ENTER>.
Click ‘Next’ and login to your administrator account on the computer. The administrator account is the account created the first time the computer was turned on.
Click ‘Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe options’ and follow the prompts provided.

Don`t forget that at this point you are only checking for a recovery partition and if there is one it will be Windows 7 and using any such partition will mean the loss of any personal data on the HDD.

Going offline now as I have an early start tomorrow.

Ninja666

Ninja666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Happy News.

I have made some progress.

I was able to boot up the laptop from the USB.

In the process I am at the point shown in the attached image.

I will report back to you later today and let you know how much more success I can attain.

It is looking better today than yesterday.

Thank you

Edited by Ninja666, 15 December 2018 - 05:59 AM.