Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it better to buy RAM from Chinese sellers in Ebay?

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

Ask yourself this, how likely is it that you can get genuine USA made Crucial RAM from China for less than 50% of what it costs back in the US, the least expensive that I could find here Air o... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

axl2468

axl2468

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Now that I've replaced my crappy PSU with a better one, I've decided to go to the second step of upgrading my old PC to a gaming one, upgrading my RAM.

Currently, I have 6 GB of RAM. Unfortunately, their speeds are at 667 mhz which is pretty bad compared to today's RAM. RAM sticks are expensive in local stores near me (40 usd for a single 4gb stick lol). I was digging online for quite a bit and I found this: https://www.ebay.com...8uBd:rk:13:pf:0

The seller is from China and is selling a "Crucial" brand RAM. Not only that, but there's free shipping (or +3 usd to avoid more than 3 months of shipping). Is this worth buying? I've heard that brand doesn't really matter when buying RAM. Is this true?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Ask yourself this, how likely is it that you can get genuine USA made Crucial RAM from China for less than 50% of what it costs back in the US, the least expensive that I could find here

Air on the side of caution and wait until you have the funds for the genuine article, remember genuine Crucial RAM is 100% guaranteed or your money back, cant see you getting that from China  :whistling:

axl2468

axl2468

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Well what about buying them used instead? I heard that RAM manufacturers give a lifetime warranty because RAM in general is just a reliable computer part as it has no moving parts.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

I hope Phill will forgive me for "chipping in" with my 2 penn'orth

Second hand RAM can be OK..... just like a second hand car can be OK.... RAM modules are susceptible to damage by static electricity...

1 If you buy second hand RAM you have no way of knowing how it has been handled by its previous owner....

2 Were full and proper anti static precautions, taken? ( both on removal and replacement)

3 How was the RAM module stored when it was not in the machine? (Correctly in its own anti static and protective case? or just shoved in a desk drawer with other stuff?)

4 How do you know the RAM was compatible with the previous machine it was installed in?

5 Has an over voltage ever been applied to it in a previous machine and if so how do you tell what latent damage has been caused?

6 Has there ever been any liquid ingress into the machine(s) it was installed in? ( despite careful cleaning electronics often fail around 9 to 12 months after the liquid ingress, quicker if the liquid is not pure water, for example coffee, tea, soft drinks, wine etc.)

7 Is your computer capable of using faster or more RAM? (If your Mobo or OS can't handle it, there's no point in fitting it.)

8 Why is the existing owner getting rid of it?

These are the sort of thoughts that  might spring into my mind when purchasing RAM, and remember whilst there are no moving parts in the usual RAM module RAM sometimes does just go bad, as the memory chips are not everlasting!

Personally I always recommend my customers visit the crucial.com website, run the Crucial scanner, get the details of compatible RAM and purchase from them accordingly.( with their guarantee).. However as always it's your machine so it's your call, but do calculate most carefully, the likely saving in price between new and used RAM modules, with the attendant advantages and disadvantages.

Regards

paws

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for providing such a thorough explanation paws  :thumbsup: