Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

its all going slooooow (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 24 December 2018 - 10:20 AM

Two things that commonly affect the % of RAM that is shown to be being used are how much physical RAM there is and what if any applications are running in the background, Chrome and Task Manager ru... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hi all, happy christmas/holidays 

not been here in a while, been managing to keep this thing going on my own thanks to your forum....but now i find im a tad stuck..

is anyone able to help me get this lappy back up to speed again please, the wifi only works when it feels like it, youtube, facebook, messenger or searching photo files is really slow...not sure if its graphics related...its not my internet connection cos my phone and tab work fine...

avast didnt pick up anything, neither did spybot so dont think its a virus or spyware..

hoping i can resolve it without having to re set the computer

all assistance is, as always, most gratefully received

thanks all

nige

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...CJwVSYtCV50jlix

hope that's right

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Only thing that would explain the computer being a bit slow is the speed of the HDD but being an older notebook the 5400rpm drive is pretty much the norm, the storage capacity of the drive is on the large size for a notebook, couple of questions if I may;

Is the HDD a replacement for the original.

What are you basing the present speed of the notebook on.

Things of note in Speccy.

There is no wireless device listed.

There is no mention of Avast or Spybot in your list of programs.

Windows was installed on 12/05/2018, was this a clean install.

Just a fyi, Windows should when possible always be installed on its own drive or partition, this helps to protect it from corruption + it means that Windows will boot up faster, at the moment the entire partition that Windows is on is being checked out before Windows can finish loading.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hi phillpower2,

the lappy is as purchased...nothing changed

i am basing the current speed on the fact that it used to be faster lol...it just seems slower at everything, 

i was having trouble with the wireless, it used to just drop off for no  reason that i could determine so is now on a LAN cable.maybe its busted

i got rid of avast and spybot cos they didnt seem to do anything

and the windows install was the one i was prompted to do by microsoft when they rolled it  out...it used to be win8 iirc...although it could be because i reset the computer due to the trouble i was having so was re installed

and i dont know anything about where windows is, it did it on its own but im not averse to moving it if thats something i should be doing

i appreciate your time mate

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Nige,

the lappy is as purchased...nothing changed

Hmm, have you had this computer from out of the box new, the Shark Bay (Haswell 2013) CPU,  the capacity of the HDD and the single 8GB stick of RAM (which btw is only giving you 50% of the performance that you would get in dual channel mode by having 2 x 4GB sticks of RAM) are not commonly the specs of a 2013 computer, if the performance has suddenly gone poor, check for any recently installed system software (drivers) or Windows major update,Windows 10 1809 update is known to be a pain in the proverbial.

Btw, without knowing what sort of performance you were previously achieving and what you are getting now we have no comparison I`m afraid  ;)

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

ello mate, 

the lappy came from currys pc world, and the only thing thats changed is the OS, so yes, right out of the box..

ill have a look for that update and get rid of it..

is it possible to stuff another 8gb ram thingy in, or is 8 gb the max for this machine?

maybe its time to get a new one and use the hdd on this one for storage..

thanks again fella

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

P S, how to i go about the partition thing you were on about? :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Nige,

I just checked the recent Windows updates in your Speccy url and you are still running 1803 so it is not the latest major update that has caused the sudden lag, btw, there is no indication that the latest major update has tried but failed to install, you could wait and see if things improve once you are running 1809.

Please run the Crucial system scanner tool on your notebook, this will confirm whether or not your computer can handle more than 8GB of RAM, if it is, please see below, if it is not, please advise, we are doing this because even though your computer has 2 memory slots some OEM/Brand name computers can only recognise a max of 8GB of RAM, in this instance 2 Xs 4GB sticks of RAM would be the only way of achieving dual channel and maximum capacity.

Your notebook has two memory slots so you can add a second stick to get you dual channel performance, you will see a marked improvement by doing this, for most users 8GB** of RAM is plenty so I will just suggest the least expensive upgrade that I would do if me Crucial CT51264BF160BJ 4 GB (DDR3L, 1600 MT/s, PC3L-12800, Single Rank, SODIMM, 204-Pin) Memory guaranteed to be 100% compatible by Crucial or your money back.

There is a less expensive 2GB stick option here but they want almost £5.50 P&P which bumps the price up to £18.80, there is also no guaranteed to be 100% compatible or your money back promise.

P S, how to i go about the partition thing you were on about? 

It depends, because the notebook is circa 2013/2014 any recovery partition on the notebook will be eithers Windows 7 or 8 and not Windows 10 which you are presently running, you could leave that partition as it is on such a large storage capacity HDD and then partition what is left on the drive, couple of things below that you would need to do first.

1: If you do not already have Windows 10 media on disk or USB you need to create it either by burning it to disk or by downloading it to an 8GB or above USB thumbdrive, all that you need to know from here

2: Back up any important data,

3: Download and save to a USB thumbdrive all drivers that you need, make sure that they are for Windows 10 64-bit

4: Install Windows 10 and the HP system drivers.

5: Get Windows 10 and Windows Defender fully up to date then post back with an update for us, please do not install anything else until we have helped you partition the HDD.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
this is the message i got on the crucial site Crucial currently does not have any compatible upgrades available for your particular system

i'll try and get my head round the other stuff, need to make sure i got it right before i attempt anything...

thanks fella

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

That's an unusual message for a relatively new computer - can you post the exact model name and number of the computer so we can do some research.

You are welcome  :)

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hi mate,

i think i have win10 installed on a 32 gb drive usb plug in thingy ( no idea of the difference between a flash and thumb drive ).....can you give me an idea of which drivers i need to find please..

all i could find on model number is this

hp pavilllion...model 15-p199na.....s/n 5cd4479cw9.....p/n k7r28ea#abu

hope that helps

thanks again

nige

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi Nige,

Flash and USB thumbdrive = same thing  :thumbsup:

Not sure what happened when you ran the scan as the info I get using your info from above gets me the results here

All the drivers that you will need are available from here Please note that after a clean install of Windows you should install the HP chipset drivers first, this help to make sure that the other drivers install without issue, just a fyi, you must install the chipset drivers but a lot of newer hardware will work with generic drivers provided by Windows 10, install the two lots of chipset drivers (Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver first) restart the notebook and test to see what does and does not require HP specific drivers.

In addition to the above, the computer has UEFI BIOS and so should not require the need to insert any Windows 10 product key but make sure that you have this + any other product keys for any other program that you may have on the computer, programs such as MS Office for example, this does not include any trial versions.

Last but not least, you need to let us know if you will be formatting the whole drive or leaving the Windows 8 recovery partition on it.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

its nice to know i can improve the ram, but it will have to wait for now....got a lot more important things to spend 60 quid on lol...

i would love to wipe the entire thing and start from scratch but i need to get an external storage doofer first as there are A LOT of pictures on here that i cant lose..

can i put the drivers on the same thumb drive as the win10  thing i just did?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Aye, not a good time of year for upgrading but fwiw it would cost £21.99 for the upgrade that I would suggest, having 16GB of RAM would be a waste of resources and your cash, free delivery from here

can i put the drivers on the same thumb drive as the win10  thing i just did?

Not recommended but you could try creating a new folder on the drive and then putting all the drivers in that, risk here though is that the folder may interfere with the clean install, if the drive had previously been partitioned it may have been less problematic, an additional thumbdrive is your best option and it does not even need to be a large capacity drive, 1GB would be plenty.

I would suggest that for now we see if we can improve performance without any upgrade/s or clean install, you can start a new thread for these on the upgrades forum when the time comes, let us know if that is how you wish to proceed.